Carpal tunnel at 15?!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Muttluk, Sep 28, 2000.

1. i dont know if it is or isnt carpel tunnel, all i know is that my wrist hurts. heres whats up...
    It is on my left hand, it hurts if you trace down your ring finger strait down to your wrist joint. Also, if you trace down your thumb (on the inside twords the palm.) these pain's can be discribed as sharp and last really long. they've lasted up to 5 min. they always come either one or the other, but never two at the same time, and never one fallowing the other. I just realized that it is a frequent thing happening, up to twice a day. As for what i do, i play bass (a righty bass so it would be my fretting hand) i play guitar (also a righty guitar, left is fretting hand) i am left handed, so i write with this hand, and i use the computer a lot (i'm frequently on the key board.) do you think its carpel tunnel? is it possible for somone that is only 15 to get it? i'm seriously freakin, cause i play guitar a lot and you could almost say that if i'm not playing guitar i'm screwing around on the computer.
  2. well... I don´t have what you describe exactly but there are many different forms of carpal tunnel...

I´ve had carpal tunnel for the last 2 years and every now and then it becomes so bad that I can´t move my hand... but it´s also in my left hand like you have...

I´ve got carpal tunnel! my mom says so and she´s a nurse... so it IS possible for 15 year olds to get carpal tunnel... (or 13 - 14 as when I first started feeling it)

my suggestion: go see a doctor.. and he´ll probably give you something to wrap over your wrist... it works! ;)

anyway... I hope you won´t suffer much... [​IMG]
  3. Some other information that i left out. It gets worse with the weather, meaning if its hot outside, then it hardly ever hurts. when it gets cold, it really really hurts, and last longer and happens more often. e.i. ever since i got home from school (3:30) its been hurting, and has been on and off up to now, and continuing to hurt (6:00) and its cold (around 65 degreese) outside. Yesterday, it only hurt twice durring hte day and it was pretty warm outside (around 73 degreese)
  4. here are a couple of tips that have giving me relief
    don't smoke, drink lots of water, cut back on coffee, or cola, eat right, be more aware of your hands no matter what you do with them, ie. leaning on them, working on the computer, playing.
    also a little exersize thats helps is to grab a round object (paper towel roll) (not the roll but the left over part)
    and grab it with both hands in a overhand grip, roll your hands 50 times each (like your wringing out a wash cloth)
    twice a day give it 2 to 6 weeks and you should feel better
    (i use a round dowel)
    the above has really improved my sharp pains
    good luck, see a doctor if you need to, stay away from surgery at almost all costs. remember doctors practice every day too
  5. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    See a doctor.

Wear your bass higher.
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    MJB is right on the money. Mutt, go to a doctor RIGHT NOW. Please. And if you're wearing your bass low, move it up a bit, that will help straighten that wrist up. But the big thing is to get a doctor to look at it.

Do you ever have any numbness in your hands? That's a SURE sign of CTS. I've been fighting with it recently myself (do a topic search, you'll find a thread). It started out being a numbness when I was sleeping, enough to wake me up. I never had any pain, but I had the numbness and lost my grip strength in my right hand. CTS is treatable, and without surgery if it's diagnosed and dealt with early, so GO TO A DOCTOR NOW.
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You really have to keep BOTH wrists fairly straight. And put the thumb of your fretting hand on the back on the neck - NOT on top of it! Adjust your strap accordingly.
    Do some (moderate!) stretching exercises for you start to play. And try to play (or fret) with a softer touch.
    And really, go see a doctor or chiropractor.
  8. ok, here's what my guitar teacher said, he recomended that that i dont play bass at all for a few days. then when i do start playing agian, to play with really soft touch, and showd me how to do it. I havnt gotten any numbness, but when i spread my hand out around the first fret (index on the first fret, pinki on the 4th, and so on, in the middle) after only playing for like 30 seconds, i start to get sore. And that was while i was sitting down. My guitar teacher said its not my foarm, because from the look of it, its basicly "textbook" thanks for all the advice, i'll probly see the doctor this weekend.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have had something like this when trying different basses - some of them have a really thick neck (front to back)and when I've tried them in a shop for only a few minutes, I also start to get an ache in my left wrist.

Whereas, basses that have a wider flatter neck are no problem. I had the worst reaction with Warwick basses that I tried - I really like the look and sound of them, but the necks of the Streamers I tried were just so thick : front to back, that it really hurt my left wrist after a few minutes.

This is one of the reasons, why I would never buy a bass mail order without trying it, as this is one of the things that you can't see from photos and is very rarely mentioned in specs on websites, catalogues etc.

I agree with the other advice given, but I think that the type of neck on the bass you play is another factor to take into consideration - for me, it means that I know that there are basses out there which are unplayable, whereas I presume other use them happily.
  10. hm... thanks for the advice, but i'm pretty sure its not the neck on my bass. I play a fender MIM Jazz. Meaning its got a very thin neck. so i'm not sure if its the neck.
  11. I also have been dealing with these kinds of symptoms for years. I'm OK playing my MIM Jazz, but even a P Bass neck makes my left hand start to get weird. Years ago I went to a bunch of different doctors about this and had all sorts of wacky tests. Several of the orthopedic surgeons wanted to do surgery on my wrists and others said that was a bad idea. Over the years, I've learned how to use my hands to keep the discomfort to a minimum and even though I have never tried any of the alternative forms of treatment like massage therapy or accupressure, I would suggest giving them equal consideration along with the conventional doctors. Sometimes an Ace bandage type support works wonders and sometimes just changing the angle at which the wrist is bent does the trick. My advice is to see the doctors, but keep an eye out for a 'cookie cutter' solution and stay away from surgery and prescriptions. I don't think anti inflamatory medications are the answer.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was very careful to say though, that it's not the width - I know most JBasses are narrow, but some I have played are thick from front to back. It's the thickness not the width that is the issue for me.
  13. reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    dude if you do have carpel at 15 your not alone! Im 15 and i have it too. i have it because school forces me to take computer classes. (could i sue the school?...nevermind)
    anyway i know it sucks too.
  14. Besides playing bass and hand-drums almost every day I'm also a writer and am almost always on the keyboard. About three years ago my thumbs and the joints where they connect to my hands started hurting real bad. (Carpal tunnel? Arthritis? Who knows? Hey, I am 62...)
    But I started practicing (don't laugh now, I'm serious,) Tai Chi, and doing Quegong warm-up exercises with my hands. And the pain has been reduced very considerably; I expect maybe in some few more months, if I keep up the disciplines, it may even be gone.

15. I had something similar, also on my pick hand. I was at the chiropractor and asked him about it. he cracks the bones in my hand and then told me to massage the muscles in certain areas. It worked. I would suggest asking your doctor or chiro if there is some stretches you can do. I agree with the post about the toilet roll bit.

16. Check out acupuncture if that is an option for you. It is supposed to be very effective for that type of thing.
  17. hm.....i was talking to a lady friend of mine and she told me about carpal tunnel and she sed you gout it i think you think what im thinkin so maybe thats yer problem? hehe sorry if i offend
  18. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    Had CTS problems 8 years ago...had to quit playing for about 18 months (self-imposed...) Had no surgery, just quit drinking Caffine and Alcohol (they dehydrate.) plus vitamin B-6 (or most any multi-vitamin, actually...) and trying to curb the junk food makes a big difference.

A DOCTOR is the most important thing. Mine diagnosed tendinitis and prescribed anti-inflammatory stuff (since it was a week and a half since I had the first pains before I made the appt.) Still, they are the ones to consult with. 2nd opinions are also recommended...

REST and STRETCHING are very important to your hands' health. Ask around for more help.

For what it's worth, even though the 18 months of no playing was BY FAR the bleakest time in my also did the most good for my bass playing. Once I started playing again (R+B stuff at an open mic) I discovered I could throw out all kinds of chops, but...I couldn't play bass.)

Best Wishes to are NOT alone, and there are plenty of cool things you can do in the meantime.
  19. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Now the doctor is in and here is what to do.
    #1 Follow the above mentioned advice, these guys have said exactly what i would have told you.

#2 Take Motrin everyday (at your age i am guessing 400mg two to three times a day should do it).

#3 When you feel pain, stop what you are doing, your body is telling you something is wrong...listen to it!!!!!1

SEE A DOCTOR NOW!!!!!!!!