1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carpal tunnel surgery...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MalcolmAmos, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Well, I have developed carpal tunnel, wear a brace at night, and that seems to help.
    Several have mentioned carpal tunnel, and I would appreciate your thoughts on:
    • What relief you would recommend.
    • And how quickly will this advance to where surgery becomes necessary.
    • And any comments on the surgery are welcomed.

As you may know I'm retired so there is no work related activity just my guitar and bass.

Thanks, guys.

2. Dougie44

Dougie44

Jul 1, 2012
    Michigan
    I have that condition and got better after I retired. I am 72 now and my fretting hand suffers most. At my age I won't do surgery, no guarantee it will work plus the healing time.
    When I wear the brace at night seems to help the best and loose fitting shirts

This is just a hobby for me so I can do it this way, someone playing for a living might need surgery. Good luck.

3. Thanks, I feel a little better after your post. This all started about 6 months ago and has progressed into the weakness stage in what I would consider rather fast. But it sounds like you have been living with it for awhile. That, for some strange reason, makes me feel better. Six months from tingle to weakness got me thinking this was progressing a little faster than I thought it should.

Again thanks for the reply, the brace at night does help.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  4. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I had to change a few other things, being cognizant of what else I did that used similar muscle groups. I also went to the chiropractor, which did help.
    I didn't play for awhile, use round instead of flats as well

5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  6. Dougie44

Dougie44

Jul 1, 2012
    Michigan
    I have learned that you can't abuse your hands, when I stopped cranking handles ( machining trades) pounding hammers, lifting hay bales, all that does harm. When I avoid that abuse my conditions improve. In other words
    You might be able to control your carpol tunnel just by not beating your hands up. Playing bass guitar will affect it but nothing like hammering nails.

Mktrat likes this.
  7. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    I've tried to be VERY aware of my technique and that seems to help. Some people like ice/heat as well. If my CTS is acting up I will ice my wrist after I play or between sets if need be.

I have found one awesome idea that really helps. A Torzal necked bass. The twist takes a lot of bend out of my fretting wrist. I can play longer and stronger now because of the twist.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1191.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fz463%2Fondebass%2FWTt_zpseti3babd.png

Yeah it's a bit of an extreme I know, but I was fed up with the constant pain and was willing to pony up the cash to try one. I have no regrets.

I'm in less pain, the numbness has all but disappeared, and I got to buy another bass. I'd call that total win!

8. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I haven't had any problems for years but have had bouts of tingling, forearm pain, and weakness in the past. Ice/heat was good but minding the angle of the wrists helped the most.... keep both wrists as straight as possible, play for shorter periods of time, reduce the other stresses on the area. Mine got pretty bad at one time but I managed to overcome it. Surgery seems like an extreme option, I would do anything to avoid it due to the success rate not being great and the possibility of surgery actually making it worse. Good luck!

9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    If you search here on TB for threads on the topic you'll find that many of us have had great success with release surgery, with relatively short recovery times (I only took 3 weeks off gigging per wrist). I was cautioned to have the surgery while still in the tingling stage - not to wait. A nerve response test can give a definitive answer about the advisability of the procedure. I wouldn't hesitate and I wouldn't delay. Good luck!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021