1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Carpal tunnel syndrome question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Apr 18, 2018.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I am dealing with it, and hopefully trying to avoid surgery (of course, just as the gigging season begins). Stretching exercises for the wrists help. Anyone have any good sites with more of these type exercises to try? Thanks.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    IME, you gotta change your technique to reduce CTS.

Possibly change to a short scale bass/lighter bass with a thinner/narrower neck.

3. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Down the road I may have to, but stretching the inner wrist helps a lot, so just seeing what I can do.

4. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    I'll just leave this here.....

www.littleguitarworks.com

Yes, I am a TOTAL fanboy, but it makes my playing pain free.

IMG_5332.jpg

Stumbo likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    It may be too late later.

bholder likes this.
  6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    You should probably consult with a doctor and or physical therapist before starting any stretching routine. Some exercise can actually aggravate/worsen your condition.

7. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I am. I am going back in a month.

ONYX likes this.
  8. maxmaroon

maxmaroon Guest

Oct 25, 2010
    Technique is the first place to start but after you have ruled that out look into your body posture and breathing. The alexander technique is extremely helpful for posture issues.

I had struggled with wrist issues for a long time and after correcting bad habits and posture issues I was still having some trouble. Deep breathing exercises were the last piece of the puzzle to eliminate the issues for me (I also found long cold showers to be helpful.) I do not at all like to give health advice because there are so many variables to consider but wanted to pass this along in case there was a slight chance it could help you in some way. I reached the point where I tried everything sensible and my final solution ended up being the last thing I considered. Slow down your breathing, breathe as deep as possible, and focus your breath where you are having pain. If you are having consistent soreness or pain you can try this: take 30 deep long breaths, exhale completely and then do not breathe for as long as you feel comfortable (you'll be able to go for longer than you think), then inhale deeply and hold the breath, pushing it up into your head. Repeat this cycle 3 times. Take it easy at first with these exercises. I can't tell you how much this has helped me and I wish I had experimented with it earlier: though I am glad I solved my technique and posture issues first.

Hopefully there is a simple solution for your wrists but many times it's multiple variables and one positive change isn't enough. If you want more info or suggestions feel free to pm me anytime.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021