Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carpel Tunnel

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Mike, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Hi Mike,

I think I may be stricken with the much dreaded Carpel Tunnel. I first noticed it about three weeks ago in the middle of a set. Suddenly, I felt a dull pain in numbness in the fleshy, muscular part of the thumb that makes up about 1/3 of the palm of my fretting hand. It was accompanied by a numbness and sharp pain tht began about halway between the elbow and shot up to my wrist on the underside of my forearm. I switched to 5's about 3 yrs ago and really don't wanna go back to 4's (no offense Mike :) but if it means playing and never playing again I won't hesitate. Have you ever experienced this or known anyone in the pro circuit or whatever who has. How have you/they treated it? And do you have any other thoughts? (I also posted this on Mike M. and Steve's forum)

Anyone else with experience is welcome to comment also...

Thx,

Mike

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    My Dr. says that I have it, but I don't really notice it. I would be hesitant to recommend anything. I know of many players who have tried everything from herbal treatments to different stretching exercises to surgery. I am not a physician (and I don't even play one on TV). This is not anywhere near my field of expertise. I would see a few different doctors and see who offered the least invasive treatment and start there. Other than that I am sorry that I could not be of more help.

Mike

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    That's all right. I understand chords are your thing. ;) I was just wondering if you ice it, take some time off now and then use ibuprofen, stretch whatever. Consider yourself lucky you don't feel it. When it kicks in, it sucks. This is supposed to happen to old men not 32 yr olds! :)

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Because I play chords and chord-melody stuff, my action is set extremely low. The relief on my neck is between 6 and 8 1,000's of an inch. The string height at the last fret is about 1/32nd's of an inch. Combine that with the fact that I use TI Jazz Rounds which have a really low tension, I probably am straining my wrists more by typing this than by playing.

Mike

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    HMMMM... You make some interesting points. I have not tried TI flats or rounds. I noticed the gauges were VERY light on the rounds. Something like 47,61,73... I can't remember. Do they feel thin and weak? I've heard great things about them. I recently acquired a Brubaker (Avatar) whose action can be set to nothing withput buzz. Maybe I'll have to make some adjustments. Any further comments on TI's? Do the rounds have low tension as well?

Thx.

Mike

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I think you owe it to yourself to at least try one set of the jazz rounds. They have a very "soft" feel but they sound great. At the NAMM show, a bunch of great players tried my bass with TI Jazz Rounds on it and pretty much ran to the TI booth (it helped that they were right across the isle from us at MTD)

Mike