Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Aug 3, 2004.

34 vote(s)
  2. TOLEX

97 vote(s)
  1. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Neither. IMO, the "poly urea", like on the EA cabs, is the best. It is durable (no tears like tolex, no pills or snags like carpet) and doesn't attract pet hair or absorb smells and liquids like carpet. The new Carvin Pro Series cabs have something similar. My second choice would be the really heavy pebble-like "tolex" on the Mesa-Boogie bass cabs.
  2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I'd probably have to go with the EA stuff. I've always loved carpet, but I own many pets, and any new carpeted equipment becomes covered in hair overnight :(
  3. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Both of my cabs are carpeted, and for me this is a pain because the majority of jigs I have been doing lately have been outside, which means I have to vacuum them off every time. If I ever had cabs made or re-covered the ones I have I go with tolex or something similar. Plus carpeted cabs look lame to me.
  4. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Best thing about carpet is it can take more abuse without showing as much scarring as tolex or that urea stuff. Did you know that urea is a urine extract?
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'll take carpet anyday.

If carpet + pet hair is causing you problems, you just get one of those adhesive roller thingies at the grocery store for keeping wool garments like sweaters free of pet hair and wool balls and run them over the problem!

Tolex rips too does padded vinyl, like on Kustom amps.

To me, the best is that poly stuff they spray on pick-up truck beds.........some of it is called "Rhino" ...this kind of stuff -

I think Ampeg uses it on some of their cabs, but, I don't want an Ampeg cab.
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd prefer a nice quilt maple...
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Oh! Your Alessandro with a beautiful figured maple, lbanks. Only $50k with a pure gold amp chassis!

8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Just carpet... if I may, that gorgeous looking Bag End red carpet. It doesn't matter if it gets banged up a little, gives it character. I love the tone too! (let's not forget that one. ;))
  9. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Yorkville offers this as an option to most of their bass amps and it is standard on all the extension cabinets. It's indestructible I swear. Though can be a touch abrasive on the skin when carrying it. Wear sleeves and you are fine though.
  10. thats what made me do this thread the yorkville i guess they give you the option of either carpet or that tolex sort of stuff that rhino liner, does this indistructable stuff come on the yorkville xm200t 2x10 combo 200watts?
  11. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Yup, I think it is available as an option for the entire line of bass amps, and is a standard feature (carpet is not an option) for the extension cabinets.
  12. the exstension speakers do have the option of carpet or that rhino stuff it says on there website.

The XC115X is also available as the XC115XC. The XC115XC is the identical cabinet only manufactured in a black ozite (carpet) finish for artists that prefer our rugged and reliable traditional cabinet covering.
  13. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I stand (slightly) corrected. There is one cabinet that can be had in carpeting.
  14. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'LL TAKE IT.....(counting change)....Uhhh. Never mind.:)
  15. Zombie thread alert! I was going to start a thread and figured I had better search and add to a previous one so I don't get yelled at. :) I prefer carpet over tolex any day. Its not as good looking initially but down the road carpet looks way better than shredded tolex. Half of the tolex cabs I see are gouged, torn, or destroyed. I have a 4x10 that has seen miles and miles and gig after gig and the carpet is still in tact. Its not 100% smooth by any means but from 20 feet it looks better than torn up tolex.
  16. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    San Clemente, CA
    +1 on carpet. Once it looks nappy it stays nappy. Tolex only gets worse with age IMO.
  17. jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    TOLEX looks better but carpet is tougher. I used to hate carpet because it soaked up all the cigarette smoke. Now that all the bars banished the smokers outside, carpet is the "better" of the two coverings for it's durabilty and price.
  18. gpx1200

gpx1200 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    had carpet and tolex don't like either,.. duratex is something that the fearfull builders swear by, its a roll on acrylic coating for speakers that's similar to bed liners without the traction sand added so its smoother similar to tolex and if it gets beat up its easily repaired with a quick roller touchup.
    if you want something tougher than that theirs a 2 part urathane roll on bedliner called monstaliner that also has a smoother texture than bedliners with out the sand and its available in a lot of colors I think a quart with activator and colorant will cost around $100
  19. sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    Tolex. It's not the best solution but I'm a sucker for the look.