Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carpet VS Tolex

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JetGlowSteve, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Does this bug anyone else? The carpet covering that a lot of amp makers seem to be using more and more as opposed to tolex...why? Its ugly, things stick to it, if something gets spilled on it you can't just wipe it off, after heavy use it can end up looking like Don King's barber got hold of it, and it holds "bar stench". Its just nasty in my opinion yet lots of companies use it for their amps. SWR, Ashdown, Peavey, Hartke...to name a few. Does it hold some desirable dampening factor that good ol' tolex doesn't? I suspect its cheaper than tolex...any other thoughts?? Personally, when I lay out $$$$ for an amp or cabinet I don't want it covered with fuzzy carpet.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hey man, I'm with ya! I actually prefer the look of carpet to Tolex, but the functionality of the carpet leaves a lot to be desired. I recently had to make a cover for my lower cabinet, due to that fact that I have been leaving it at my guitarist's house and his cat sheds all over it. After repeated vacuumings, it looks exactly as you describe it -- like Don King's barber got a hold of it. Also, I don't know if it's common with carpet covering, or if I just got a "Friday afternoon" or "Monday morning special," but the seams on my $1000 cab are all seperating, leaving a clear view of the wood beneath. Nice.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I personally like the look of tolex better, but it ain't worth a damn for heavy road use (unless you have a road case). Carpet, for all its drawbacks, has been the toughest covering I've used. My vote would be that they start covering amps in ABS.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Maybe a new covering altogether is the answer. I agree that the carpeting thing is a pain. Especially if you move it around a lot. But it is still tougher than tolex. There is nothing nastier than a cabinet with 50 or 60 places were the tolex has been torn. I remember dropping huge money for a brand new Ampeg cab in the 80s. In 6 months, it looked aweful. I also prefer the look of the carpet.

I use covers on my cabs. That helps a lot.

5. >SWR, Ashdown, Peavey, Hartke...to name a few

Peavey has abandoned carpet in favor of vinyl - the new cabinets are the TVX line, exactly similar to the TXF line.

I have a 412 TVX and got a cover from Tuki for it.

John

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

mchildree's dead on. Tolex gets ripped and the bare wood is exposed. It just goes down the toilet if you play out much at all.

The Carvin stuff has very durable, fuzzy (but not hairy at all), covering on it. Maybe it's the Dura-Tuff II stuff.

Still, those enclosures like the new Ampeg cabs that are encased in a sort of molded fiberglass/kevlar/plastic are the way to go at the moment, IMO.

7. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Hategear--You can actually shave the raised fuzz on the carpet and make it look a lot better if you can get a hold of some barber clippers. It works great. Make sure you use one of the snap on combs that limit the length of the cut or be real careful not to shave to close. :D

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah! or corn rows! (KoRn rows?)

9. Yeah, I have one of those clothes shavers like you use to get the little bally things off sweaters...it works good as well. I still like my tolex though. Tolex with a nice padded cover and I've never had problems. Even if you get a place on the tolex that is scraped but still intact you can superglue it back down and usually know one would ever notice. Some of the best and most durable stuff was the kind Peavey used in the early days...that heavy textured stuff....now that could take a beating and still look alright. I have an old Peavey that's over 20 years old...gets some AmourAll every once in a while and still looks nearly new. I just use covers and handle my gear with care.

10. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    My preference would be MESA/Boogie Road Ready cabs which are basically built into a roadcase. My experience with carpet is that it's durable, but it's looks go away w/ time and it does hang on to pet hair and ciggarette smoke. Tolex doesn't, but tears too easily. The MESA road ready sereis are basically built like tanks.

11. Mesa stuff is indeed built very tough, BUT pretty damn unaffordable for a lot of us, well worth every penny though if you got the dough.

12. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    how 'bout ya' strip covering off your amp and cabs, take everything out and go get it sprayed with some high quality truck bed liner. just a suggestion :D

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Thats one heckuva good idea! I never really thought about it, but if ya got the dough and the people could make it work, that would be the best amp covering around!.

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    That's awesome! Maybe to be safe though, I could just take it to the local Cost Cutters? Can you see them trying to fit one of those bibs around a 6x10 or 1x15? :D

15. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    YEA!! And get the tips frosted while your there!!

16. I've used spray-on truck bed liner on a couple of cabs I've built. The oldest is 2 years old now, and looks like day one. It's survived many, many teardowns and rebuilds during the test/tune period. Guess what you do if you wack it hard enough to take some of the black stuff off the MDF?

That's right, you get out the can again and spray over the area. I made another cab/combo amp, and used GFZ (Grey Fuzzy Stuff). Sound out of it wasn't different enough to register with me. Besides, the truck bed liner can actually add some more mass/density to the cab.

Plus it takes 5% of the time. Complex curves are not a problem either. Also sprays fine over Fiberglass, Epoxy, Kevlar Composites, Graphite composites. Keep making passes until you get the texture you want. I suppose there's different colors also.

Damnit, now I have to go tear the carpet off my personal cabs.

BTW, Wear gloves, and do it indoors in a well ventilated...blah blah. It bonds to anything, including skin and bugs. And Birds.

Well, maybe not birds. I haven't tried that yet. Tommorow's project. Well..maybe not.

Okay.

17. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Hey Tufnuts - Do you get that stuff in aerosol cans at the auto parts store? Or do you need a compressor and spray gun etc?

18. Canned kind. It was done as a test. 2 cans did a 4x12 combo with half a can to spare.

I'd suggest making sure the edges are rounded over. It'll look better

HTH

19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    just don't get herculiner on your hootus!!!

(to those who haven't heard about that one - some guy with a truck was spraying on truckbed liner, and went to the bathroom without washing his hands. it stayed there for a month or so)

jason

20. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    So thats the miracle cover-truck bed liner. Makes sense to me now. Actually makes sense-something that is designed to take a beating & still look nice with out costing an arm or a bass. thats all