Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carpeting a cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwig, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    i just bought a yorkville 4x10 cab for 150 canadian in the last week, and it sounds awsome, but alot of the outside material is ripped and almost coming apart...i decided im going to carpet it...
    right now on the outside...its finished with that rubbery..bumpy material (sorry im a total noob with this stuff)...
    but i was wondering if i can carpet right over that? cause my guitarist is working at a speaker cabinet warehouse and said that he cud carpet it with some kool colors for real cheap...
    how should i go about this?

2. The stuff that is on there right now is called Tolex. It's not porous, so anything you go to put over it won't sit still for very long, without mechanical anchor (like staples) The carpet is called Ozite...(also fantastic to cover pedalboards with, as it acts like the "loop" side of velcro...

The BEST way to do it is to re-bare the wood, but it's a real p.i.t.a. to get tolex off... short of that, also realize any carpet you put on will translate the current surface thru it...so you will not get an even new surface.

if that's not a problem for you, you will at least have to prep the current tolex by scuffing the crap out of it so the new adhesive will have something to bond to. Also realise if the original tolex decides to delaminate, it will bubble and sag the carpet over it as well.

So if you can, get a heat gun, and a putty knife, and try to loosen ands work off the tolex. Not too long on any one spot with the heatgun, aas you could either melt or scorch the tolex causing more problems (and bad fumes) or you could weaken glue joints in the cab construction itself. It's gonna be messy and sticky.

When re-covering, go with a chlorine based pressure-set adhesive. And a roller handle. coat both surfaces, allow to set up, and then apply wrap to cab, work out sags or bumps, get it tight, then roll the surfaces to lock them together...then move on to your corner work. neatness counts. v:O) Oh, and ventilation...that stuff reeks.

Good luck any which way you go.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    wow looks like ill be pretty busy...
    i dont mind the look of it, the only reason i wanna carpet it is so theres more protection...
    what would happen if i filled in the ripps/ tears and repainted the tolex, would the paint stick to to it?

4. No, it wouldn't. And if you scuffed the surface, it would translate thru the paint, and look kinda krappy.

It's not *all that bad*, just alot of time and frustration.

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, I got a wild idea for you. Get you a can of spray or brush on bed liner for truck beds. It works really good. I have used it on homemade cabs before. You can use it to just patch the holes or tears in your Tolex. It won't look the same but it should do the job.

6. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    hmm...i just went out and looked at it, and its not really that bad...i mean, thers a small tear on the back, but the top is fine...and the sides arent too bad
    as long as the inside isnt in harm, im not gonna spend hours and hours carpeting it...not right now anyways

but thanks alot for ur help, u cleared alot of things up for me.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    carpet right over the tolex using cove adhesive.

8. Just make sure it's orange or purple shag.

9. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    so i can carpet over the tolex...but just tell my buddy whos carpeting it to use cove adhesive...where would i get that stuff?

orange or purple shag?

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Don't carpet over the tolex. Pull it off. It should pull off easy enough. I used spray 3M 77 Super to re glue the Ozite. Check out my site at www.bobmelnik.com and click on "My Projects"

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I second the use of Super 77. Used it just this past weekend to recover a cabinet.

Watch out for overspray...it doesn't come off the carpet well (learned that one the hard way a few years ago).

The tolex shouldn't be too tough to peel off. Find a seam and have at it.

I use a No.1 Xacto knive to do all of the trimming. Those puppies are surgically sharp and do a great job...but you have to be careful.

12. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    I carpeted all of my speaker boxes, super 77 works well on small jobs but a good contact glue in the 1 gallon can and a paint brush for the big jobs :bag:

13. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    when the bar fights break out you should have something to hide behind :bag:

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    For vinyl (tolex if you will), I do use contact cement. I have some black vinyl that I bought form NShocking on eBay and Super 77 only holds it for a few months... Contact cement is the way to go for that stuff.

I agree with Alembic76407 about using Contact Cement for big jobs too. At $11+ a can for Super 77 (at my local True Value store), I don't want to have to use a lot of it. I used about a full can the other day.

15. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    wow thats an awesome job on that ampeg 8x10...
    how long did that take you?

16. Rockbobmel

About 3, 3hr sessions, including painting the grille.

17. Where would I get ozite or whatever? Would it be cheaper for me to use regular old carpet? How should I restore a cab that was originally tolex and make the carpet or ozite have no seam?

18. Rockbobmel

No.. Get it at www.partsexpress.com Make sure you get the latex backed. It comes in black and gray for $4.80 a linear yard. And pull off the old tolex. Then sand if necessary (old glue), figure which direction to work in is best. You will have seems. It's tricky, but practice on something else first if you are shaky.

19. I don't see the seams on your SVT810? Could you show me more of what I'll be getting into? I have the cabs down to the wood but they are painted black, should I sand it down?

20. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Actually, the black paint can be your best friend...assuming that you are recovering with black carpet. Any gaps in the seams will be hidden by the black paint from a foot or two away.

Here's a picture of a back of one of my 1x10s. I enhanced the photo to show where the seams are. With black paint behind them and careful trimming, they're virtually invisible. As I wrote earlier, I use a No. 1 Xacto knife with a brand new blade, it cuts through the carpet like it's warm butter...

Have fun!!!!