Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carribean bass players..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rob_d, Sep 25, 2001.

1. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Kind of a weird thing to be looking for, but I would love some recommendations on a good bass player to listen to that specializes in Caribbean music. I don't mean reggae...I'm talking more calypso and even into the kinda island samba stuff. Reason is I'm playing with a band that does that type of stuff now and I'm just kinda faking my way along but would love to hear some players who are really on top of this style as it's all pretty new to me. Thanks.

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Hi...I come from the island of Martinique in the southern Carribbean. Aside from reggae, check some zouk such as Kassav (also from Martinique) who are an incredible band ...or Taxi Kreol...these recordings might be hard to find.
    From Haiti is Boukman Esperyans. From Trinidad try Arrow, Black Stalin, Barnett Henry, and Tambu.

Mango Records and Green Linet both used to have extensive catalogs of Carribbean artists.
    Good luck, Max