Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carrots??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by silentstranger, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Okay, I've noticed a few TBisms, so to speak.
    "troll" was easy to figure out...
    I now know what it means to be "fuqua'd" after seeing Ed go off on that Vulcan` kid...rather entertaining :D...
    The TabCrawler bashing now makes sense after spending ten minutes there...

However, I cannot for the life of me figure out the "carrots" thing. Somebody always throws it out when a thread is just useless or stupid, but being the inquisitive soul I am, I must know the origin! Please enlighten.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

it just means non of the above. Or I dont have on opinion or "boy this is a dunb poll!!"

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Back in the day, when TB was... a few months younger, we didn't have polls. They're still considered to be those "new fangled things". The problem was (is) that when people had access to this tool, they started using it too much. Every thread had a poll, and they were all useless. In his own inimitable fashion, John Turner edited all the polls to have an option called "carrots", which had nothing to do with anything, except it would usually win. It was his way of saying "Hey, polls are stupid, and to show it, I will introduce a vegetable option that will display how silly these wacky polls are."

Some people were annoyed that a mod edited their poll, but now many have started putting carrots in by themselves- I'm not sure if John does it anymore. People also seem to want to use it to say "That was stupid" or "This is a dumb topic and deserves a dumb answer." or "Everyone seems to be saying 'carrots' and I desperately want to be accepted in this odd, odd culture, so I, too, will say carrots."

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

"troll" is pretty much used universally by all the english-spoken forums over the world...

Carrots and Fuqua are 100% ours :)

also: "Clan Tabevil" and "GAS" (im not so sure about that one but we surely made it famous :D)

6. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Theres a story,centuries old, saying that John Turner still edits the poles to this very day.
    :scary ghost voice on:
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    :Scary ghost voice off:

they say he raises the dead with his double neck bass.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think the officials in Warsaw would have something to say about that, were it true.

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    LOL!

I honestly laughed out loud when I saw the "poles" line and your response :D

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm here all week. :D

10. Do you ever think Carrot will retire and then we owuld have to have another vegie take over?

:D:D

Merls

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My vote for a replacement...

zuccini

12. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Potato sounds better to me

13. Radishes.

[​IMG]

Plump and red...like a good woman.

14. yeah! Zuccini ,,, now thats the ticket. I just happen to have one right here in my pocket!:eek: :D :)[​IMG]

15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I second radishes. It's just so damn sexy.

16. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Radishes would be fine...

otherwise GARLIC

17. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    :D :D :D :D

18. Hm, why am I not surprised that it all started with JT? :rolleyes:

I picked up on "GAS" right away (and why shouldn't I; I am likely among the most tortured of its victims...). I'm still a little shaky on the whole "Clan Tabevil" story, but only because I don't currently have the time to research it (I found the thread in which it originated; it's a freakin' monster)

In any case, thanks all. Now I can sleep tonight :D

19. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Was it wrapped in tin foil? :p

20. My vote is for the rutabega...yes, just to be different. And it just sounds damn cool.