SOLD Carruthers built Lee Sklar "Frankenstein" Bass w/ ‘67 Fender Precision Body

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by berklee46, Jul 22, 2018.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Price:
    Strings:
    View attachment 3090605
    John Carruthers built Lee Sklar bass. This bass was built in 2012 as a custom project for a fellow TB'er. It was as close to recreating Leland Sklar's "Frankenstein" bass that John built back in the early 70's and is one of the most recorded basses ever.
    • 1967 Fender P Bass body
    • One of John's superb hand built necks with mandolin frets
    • Early 1980's EMG pickups with reverse P configuration (9volt)
    • Badass bridge
    • Hipshot USA tuners w/ D-Tuner (includes original tuner as well)
    • Custom made brass control plate
    • Custom matching cover between the pickups
    The profile of the neck is something between a P bass and Jazz bass. Very comfortable and not too chunky.

This bass is in excellent shape with little signs of use. Weighs just over 8lbs.

Ships with a gig bag. $1250 shipped & insured to the lower 48.

You'd have a hard time finding something as close to Lee's Frankenstein bass without owning Lee's. ;)
    Doc1.jpg
    Carruthers body.jpg Carruthers truss rod.jpg Carruthers control plate.jpg Carruthers back.jpg Carruthers Head stock.jpg Carruthers Tuners.jpeg

View attachment 3090605

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Alehouse, mikewalker and kamyon like this.
  2. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    From Guitarist Magazine September 2016:

Sklar Interview.jpg

JES and lesclaypoolsob like this.
  3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

4. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2017
    tick tock, tick tock....surprised this one hasn't sold already!

5. danclaro

danclaro Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Princeton, NJ
    Cool one-of-a-kind tribute bass! GLWTS berklee46!

ElliottStrong: I was looking at pickup placement as well... maybe it's because this is a 22 fret neck whereas Lee Sklar's bass is 20 frets? The pickups are still on either side of the original P-bass rout. Could also be the angle of the photograph?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  6. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    The pickups are in the same locations on the body, however the bridge is moved closer to the edge of the body on Lee’s bass.

The angle of my photo in the side-by-side picture gives the illusion that the pickups are right at the bridge, but it was just the best picture I had that showed how similar it is to Lee's. The other photos show the pickups better.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  7. Awesome

8. Tommy Szell

Tommy Szell Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Can you descibe the overall tone of the bass compared to a pbass?
    Is it a 9v or 18v preamp?
    Thanks,
    Tom

9. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Hi Tom,
    It's 9v preamp and the controls are V/V/T

Describing tone is tough since it's so subjective, so this is based on my ears and my experience...

Sound-wise, it's very even across the strings. I don't know why the reverse P is not the standard since it puts the D and G string pickup closer to the neck which fattens them up (although some people say it tightens the E and A up because that pickup is closer to the bridge), but the end result is a more even sound across the board and the D and G string not getting lost in the mix compared to the other strings.

Even though it's got active EMGs, the controls are nice and simple and give a surprisingly wide range of tones.
    The neck pickup gives a nice P tone that can be really smooth and old-school or really aggressive depending on the tone control. The bridge pickup gives a really articulate tone similar to a Jazz, but thicker, and again more even because of the reverse P. It's actually a really versatile setup that can go from nice and polite to aggressive really easily.

Just as a general reference, here are a couple videos of Lee with his Frankenstein bass where the bass tone stands out:

I hope this helps.

10. If I wasn’t re-doing the kitchen for the wife this would be in transit to the great state of Tennessee.

11. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    It would be a nice gift for yourself since you’re doing the kitchen for your wife. ;)

12. I couldn’t agree more but I was able to get some really nice basses last year and she’s been super patient for this project.(which naturally went over budget) That’s a really cool piece, the first I’ve had gas for in a while and someone’s gonna be very happy to get it.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021