1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carruthers Sub-1 EUB FS/FT

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by buddyro57, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    I have a Carruthers Sub-1 for sale, here's the link to Carruther's site:
    http://www.carruthersguitars.com/pages/bassmain/bassmain.htm I am selling this because I purchased a Clevinger, which suits me a little better....wife says somebody has got to go!
    Details:
    4 string, sunburst finish, 3/4 size. It uses standard double bass strings (currently strung with Spirocores). It plays easily, has nice growl and sustain. There are position markers on the right-hand edge of the neck, they are helpful and unobtrusive. I neither use them, nor notice them, but they were handy when I first purchased the bass.
    This bass has a great pick up system, with a flexible and reliable preamp, so she is ready to plug into anything- no hassles with buffering etc.
    The neck is easily detachable for shipping, or for air travel.
    It comes with a bag, and a stand that holds the bass for performing. There is a new stand that is availble (it is one the website), but that has a 175.00 upcharge. It looks good though and I would purchase it if I were going to keep this bass.
    Here is a link with clips of me playing the bass with a big band, the bass is low in the mix, but you can get a sense of how the bass looks and how it blends with the band.
    http://www.rpbigband.com/video.htm

I am looking to get 1000., buyer pays shipping. I would ship anywhere; the bass is actually fairly small when disassembled. I would consider trades for various wide-neck 6-strings electrics (with preference to Single- cut body styles), and also to plywood uprights (no Larks, or 400. Ebay specials). In either case, I can add cash for the right instrument.
    PM me for more details.

2. buddyro57

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Had a couple of questions about the preamp. It has three knobs; a volume, tremble, and bass. The bass control is concentric, the inner knob is a midrange sweep control. Its very versatile and quiet. Not sure if it is 9v or 18v, but its very clean.
    JS

3. On my SUB-1, the top control is the volume.

The center one is the midrange. Its bottom control is the frequency sweep, and the top control is the mid level.

The bottom one is also concentric.
    Its bottom control is the bass and the top control is the treble.

Mine works with a 9V battery, although I'm not using this pup system anymore.

Regards,
    François

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I had one of these for a few years. Carruthers uses the Bartolini preamp. It is designed to work off 9-27 volts. Carruthers factory-wires it for 9v.

I noticed a real sonic improvement when I wired it for 18v -- two 9v batteries in series. Instantly the bottom end got a lot less "spongy."

5. buddyro57

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Hi Francois, you are right; its been a while since I have had her out. The bottom two knobs are both concentric, and there is no "tremble" knob has my earlier post stated. Sam's mod of the preamp sounds like a very worthwhile project.
    Many thanks guys
    Jon

6. I wish my SUB has a tremble knob!:bassist:
    Sam, I've been meaning to do that mod since you emailed me a few years ago!:oops:

7. yogadork

yogadork

Mar 26, 2008
    Would you be interested in a MIJ Yamaha TRB 6 in amber as part of a deal?

8. buddyro57

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Here's a nice shiny Monday morning bump. I'll knock off 100. - bringing the price to 900. plus shipping (Domestic only please). Still interested in trades.
    JS

9. yogadork

yogadork

Mar 26, 2008
    Jon, The TRB is a 34" in scale. I confused it with my other one. If still interested LMK.

10. Wow, this is a shockingly good price for a SUB 1:eek:

11. buddyro57

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    I appreciate that- Yes, I think its a pretty decent price; Bass Northwest is selling a 5-string with the dark finish (walnut maybe?) for 1795. That is a great looking bass for sure though.
    JS

12. buddyro57

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Thanks Chris- I'll email you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.