1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carrying a bass on a bus is a pain!!!! Rant!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Jul 17, 2007.

1. I have just discovered that taking a bass on a bus is among the worst ideas in the world!
    I was taking my bass to have adjustments made, and the only way I can get to the town myself is by bus, seen as it's roughly 3 1/2 miles away.
    I got on the bus as normal, and took a seat a couple of rows back. I had my bass placed between my legs. It seemed like everyone who came onto the bus kicked, barged into or pushed my bass about. Yet when I made complaint to the driver, I was told that it wasn't their concern.
    Why is it that people see you with a musical instrument and seem to think it gives them the right to treat you badly? Why don't they apologise?

PS One thing did cheer me up. A little boy saw my case, asked me what it was and when I told him it was a bass, he asked me if I was going to play on the bus! This made me feel better!

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I've never had any problems with that. I used to put it next to next to the window and I sat down on the other seat. Thus it occupied an additional seat but it was not a problem unless the bus was full.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I used to reguarly transport my entire rig and bass on the bus and light rail all the time. At that time it was a Focus SA/sabddi and a wizzy stack strapped to a small dolly with bass strapped on my back. It wasnt alway easy but I didnt find it that difficult.

4. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Wow you have some real pricks on your buses don't you.

I've taken my bass on the bus a few times and never had that problem, even when I took my bass via bus to school. The way back is awful! it's packed and I mean packed you are literally squished between each other (you'll make to 3rd bass sooner on that bus then you will with your gf) but besides a few pushes because it's stuffed and everybody wants to move people seem to be fine. This is why it's nice to have a car when your a musician (just one more year for me:hyper:)

5. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    What ever you do, don't come to Tokyo!!!! :D :D :D

I have forgotten what seats look like! And if you think the bus is bad, you should try some of our trains.

6. I hate people like that...

I would love one day to sit near the ticket checking machine (how is it called?) with my bass in a seat, and me in another one, and when someone looks me with that face like "you a-hole get your begging tools out and let me sit", just take out a ticket and check it, so my bass just paid like him :D

7. I haven't had such a problem, but I've never carried my bass on a bus at a peak hour of the day, so I had plenty of room.

8. Must be a quirk of your neck of the woods.

My current record on the bus is 2 Arias, Ashdown Superfly, Epifani 1x10", and 3 Arias plus the demi-rig on the train. I've hoyed a gig bag between Oxford & home in South London many a time on public transport with no grief at all.

The next test is Catford to Guildford on August 18th for the SE Basschat Bash with (hopefully) the Superfly, Epi 1 x 10, Flite 1 x 15 and two basses using only Public Transport. I may have to invest in a trolley.

Pete.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Try doing it with an upright... now THAT is fun!

Took up about 6 rows across the top of the seats. Luckilly the bus was pretty empty.

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Happens a lot in Toronto on the bus, and on the subway, and on the street car.

11. First, the smart thing to do would have been to either sit in the first row, or go ALL the way to the back so no one would have a reason to bump into you - but you know that now.

Second, be glad you don't play upright bass. I've lugged them on and off buses, cars, and even made one fit into (mostly) a VW Beetle. The neck stuck out the passenger door's window.

12. Oh man... so sorry to hear about that unfortunate incident on the bus. Monthly bus passes is the way I get around the county. I regularly take electric guitars and basses along with me on my travels ... taking amps is worse, but still doable... I bought a heavy Peavey last year from a guy in Hollywood, and took it all the way back home via the L.A. subway and Orange county bus systems.. (whew!)

If you have to do this again the in future, maybe try being more 'pro active' and guard it with your body more perhaps?

13. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    I take a bus to another town nearby to my band's rehearsals weekly, no problems with dragging a bass with me. I also dragged my combo along several times - well, that was a pain to bring it TO the bus...

14. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :smug: Fassa, I bet that right now, in some internet cafe/tea room in Jesmond, there's a little old lady typing a post in the "Off Topic" section of the "Knitting Nutters" forum, about how terrible it is that the youth of today have no consideration for their elders when they try and bring unwieldy baggage onto public transport :scowl: .

:D

Still, I do sympathise with you. The seats on those busses are only fit for midgets and children anyway. I'm 6' 4" and have been since the age of 17 :meh: . Squeezing my knees up against the back of those bus seats is almost as bad as flying with easyJet :D .

Hang on in there, until you can get your hands on a car.

;)

15. ....at which stage you'll be presented with a whole new range of issues.... fitting two basses plus equipment maybe into your car plus (well, in my case) a guitarist and his equipment... then there's delays on the one route you thought'd be quiet, and you begin wishing you took the bus and it's bus lanes!! lol!! :D

16. Wasp

Wasp

Jun 26, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Not down here. I'd actually rather pay more to drive than to catch public transport. Its that bad.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    First of all, I never take my bass on a bus in anything less than a hardcase. It'll protect the bass, and there is no way any toe-rag could grab it and leg it at any kind of pace...so it's not a bad security measure!

You actually bothered complaining to a bus driver (who I'm assuming worked for Arriva). You forget that Arriva drivers are some of the most cretinous people around, and they really have no concerns about customer satisfaction. So, everyone on the bus thinks you're a moaner and you got nothing done!

18. +1

I don't like the public transport here at all. It seems only low lifes and bogans use busses... neither of which I want anything to do with.

19. You're right- it was the Arrive 308 service. It was also around 8am- not the best time for anyone, especially a bus driver dealing with an irate bassist.
    I can also remember dealing a swift kick to someone who barged into me and my bass.............hard.

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    MEOW Kitty!!!