1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cars that can carry an upright bass.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Axtman, Dec 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Well it looks I will be in the market for a new automobile. What cars will carry a 3/4 inch bass? (Of course a huge SUV and minivan will easily carry an upright and I am not really in the market for a large car.) I am more interested in a fuel-efficient smaller vehicle. Will a Toyota Prius or For Focus easily carry my bass? How about other smaller cars? Thanks!

GKon likes this.
  2. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    2 different methods

3. I have no problem getting my bass into a 2015 VW Jetta. If I'm around town, it fits in the front seat like the video describes. If I'm on a longer drive with a passenger, I can still get the bass into the trunk with the back seats folded down. I just drove 1000mi that way to Boulder last weekend for a show at E-Town Hall. Had a passenger in the front seat both going and coming.

I love the Jetta, but I'll probably go for a Subaru Outback for the next vehicle - mainly cause it's more roomy and I do live in a mountain state and play in Colorado now and again. My other 2 4wd vehicles get horrible mileage, so they aren't practical for those 1000mi trips to play in snow territory.

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    This subject has been discussed a lot around here and a search will turn up a whole lot of options. I get mine and a 1x12 combo in the back of a FIAT 500 with the front seat clear for a passenger. When I bought the car I took my bass down to the dealer to make sure which caused no small amount of amusement with the sales staff especially when it fit easily.
    IMG_1225.JPG

fdeck, woodyng2, rgull and 2 others like this.
  5. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I've easily put mine in a Chevy sprint and recently a Nissan versa. I'd think only a smartcar would be a problem

6. The most horrible, have the best space LOL. Some like snoopy head maybe.

7. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I actually have a harder time fitting it in the cab of my truck than my car

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  8. Pretty much any hatchback will work as long as the seats fold down. I've had a Subaru Impreza and now have an Audi A3. No probs.

Winoman, ColdEye and Jeff Bonny like this.
  9. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    The Prius is a wonderful bass car. I drove from New Jersey to Colorado with my bass, a good chunk of my possessions, and a passenger. Day to day, loading the bass in and out is a breeze.

koricancowboy, Winoman and silvertone like this.
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Get a hatch back.
    I used a VW Golf HB for years.

11. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    Honda fit

12. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    my PT Cruiser will easily fit a bass, an more. They are great for hauling gear, if you are in the market for a used vehicle.

They do need to have been well maintained though, so inspect thoroughly before buying.

13. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    I have a 09 Focus 4 door, fits good in it. Took a few try's to figure out optimal placement where I can see out the passenger window, blind spot, and not interfere with shifting, but it fits good.

14. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Until recently I was driving and gigging with a 2009 Mini Clubman. A 7/8 bass fit in there without moving the front seats. Great driving car, VERY easy on gas (38-45 MPG), easy to park.

Don't be afraid to take a bass to the car dealership to check the load before taking a test drive.

15. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I own both a Prius and an Outback. The Prius can take the DB and one passenger. The Outback can take the DB, 3 passengers, amp, stools, stands and two banjos. Gas mileage on the Outback is pretty decent. I think 20/30 city/highway.

16. ShadowImage

ShadowImage Guest

Jan 12, 2016
    Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix have tons of room in the back with the seats down. I wonder why I wasted so much time driving a sadan.

17. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    How are you liking the Audi? I drove an RS3 a couple of weeks ago and my initial impression was that it's a very good car.

18. Any car with 4 wheels!

19. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    My Volvo C30 will carry both my 3/4 upright and a Fender Rumble 500 2x10 combo, with room enough for a bass guitar and bag of cords. Little tiny hatchback, but the rear seats fold down, and I always run it as a two seater.

546b76cac5e82_-_2012-volvo-c30-t5-r-design-with-polestar-09-lg.

woodyng2 and Jeff Bonny like this.
  20. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I put mine in my Honda Civic ... no problem ... and now a Honda CRV ... much more roomy and someone can ride in
    the front seat with me .... (GF)