Carson McWhirter = Sick!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  2. Isn't he the bassist for The Advantage?

They play a bunch of NES songs. He's a great bassist in that band too.

EDIT: Those clips are sweet! Is that Ent, or are they just samples of Carson's playing?

EDIT2: He also plays for Crime in Choir and John Vanderslice, according to various sources. Considering these are all California bands where he plays everything from bass to guitar to stick, I'd assume this is the same guy.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sweet. It's technical and musical, I'll be dipped. :p
  4. defhed2012

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't know how i missed this thread. I'm from near Sac and i saw ent live a bunch of times when they were around. Always great. Out of those songs you posted links for, on "Underwater they looked like spaceships" and "Archelon was the largest sea turtle" a guy named Dustin played bass and Carson played guitar. The rest had Carson on warr guitar. It was always kinda weird live because when Carson played warr guitar the bassist would just go out into the crowd or sit on stage. I believe ent's drummer played drums on the latest Crime in Choir album, The Hoop, and Carson is in Crime in Choir and the Advantage. The songs you linked were from a CD-R they used to sell at shows and the only thing that was really released of theirs was a 7 inch on omnibus records with a song called "farewell metropolis" with a different version of "underwater they looked spaceships" on the other side. If any of you are interested i've got 4 or 5 more songs of theirs besides what Benjamin linked.
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm interested. Hook a brother up!
  6. I'd also be interested in hearing those other songs, they're quite great!
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thank God! I thought he'd taken ill.

brad cook

8. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I built ent's website back in the day and went to high school with Ian and Scotty. I don't remember where it is but I have some old video I took of them playing at capital garage. The live MP3s that were up on the site for a while were from that video. The quality isn't great but if anyone wants the live MP3 tracks them let me know.

Carson does a lot of stuff with Spencer and Zach from Hella. I just saw him play with Holy Smokes (Zach's solo project) last night in Nevada City, CA and I think they are playing SF 10/13/04. He's also been a part of Arctic Boys and I think Tough Guy Fantasy as well (could be wrong). I don't think this stuff will ever reach the light of day but I did get to hear some tracks he put down with Jay from 31 Knots/Dilute/CIC and thought they were really awesome.

He has done a lot of recording of bands as well. I think he helped record some Hella stuff, and also some stuff for Legs On Earth guitarist Josh Hill.
  9. Cool band. Scott, I just sent you an e-mail. Get back to me when you have a chance.

I wonder if there is a similar radical consortium of sick prog. rock-type players in Los Angeles? It seems like Sacramento has this amazing little prog. rock cult where everyone knows each other and sometimes, players contribute to friend's recordings, etc.
  10. Not to bring up an old thread or anything. But YO carson played on the hella album: there's no 666 in outer space.

EXTREMELY good. Hella fans. you know it.