Cart aids for the hernia'd?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Aug 11, 2003.

1. I'm very very old and very very weak, d];>]}
    so I dislike carrying around my hernia-causing Hartke KB 12's (aprox) 50 lbs... I mean, it's bad enough I have to hold up my 'Wick with its baseball sized neck, but getting that Hartke up and down the steep stairs in my house is, well, a job not well enjoyed to say the least...

I dig the KB-12 combo and don't want to get rid of it, so I've been thinking about a small cart. But most of the special music carts are tanks built for large rigs and would just take up too much space and add too much add'l weight to the equation... So I've been also thinking about modifying one of those strolling shopping carts that us very very old geezers use, but most all of these I've seen have been too puny for the job..

Any suggestions? (And no, wiseguys, I ain't gonna stop playing. Not as long as I can reach my very old shaking claw up a baseball-sized neck...)
    Greywoulf d];>]}
  2. Oh boy what a subject! Few realize how hard us bass players have it. Our instruments weigh more than guitars, and our speakers are not for human consumption. I bought one of those folding luggage carts (hard to find now that suitcases all have wheels built-in) for my 50lb case housing my head and rack tuner. I now have a lighter head. Never tried the luggage cart with a speaker, but you might find a rugged one that can handle it. A couple of strong bungie cords and you're read to roll.

A few gig combos come with built in luggage-type pull-out handles and wheels. Smart but not enough of them yet, and Hartke is not one of them.

3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  4. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a Ruxxac that is very much like joker's Wesco, except the handle folds down rather than slides in. About $100 and worth every penny. Folds up and fits right in my Honda trunk on top of gear.

I also have a bigger hand truck with the sliders on the back for going up and down stairs, but it doesn't fold, so I don't use it unless it's a big loadout into a van.
  5. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I made a trolly from a bit of 1/2" ply and four casters bought from a local hardware store. I cut the ply to just larger than my cab, screwed the castors to the corners, stuck a few bass player type stickers on it, put my cabs on it and secured it with a tie down strap from an auto store. Total cost £5 (about $8)

Takes up about an extra inch of space in the car - adds about 2 mins at each end as I pile everything onto the trolley and unload at the other end, but its strong enough that I can ride on it holding onto the cabs and standing on the trolley !

Doesn't go up stairs too well though...
  6. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    How much did you spend on the guy that pushes the trolley while you're riding it??

Just kidding. I built the same thing while I was gigging with a 410 cab. The 410 cab is gone now but I stack my 12's on it. Then, we move our PA gear with it too. I had the stuff already lying around.

I remember seeing a folding hand truck very similar to joker's at the local hardware store, something like $39.99.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you're ONLY going to roll your KB12 with the cart, you might want to consider just adding "cart-like" side-roll wheels to the cab itself, as well as a telecoping handle, so you can just roll it like a piece of luggage. has the side wheels for just a couple of bucks, they are just like the wheels you see on the bottom-backsides of some of the 8x10 and 4x12 cabinets.

That way, you won't have to bother with strapping the cab to the dolly, lifting it onto the dolly's bottom, etc.
  8. sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    As someone noted, they do sell carts at hardware stores that look similar to the one Joker recommended, but be careful. The one at Lowes looks identical and is only $40, but while the parts and construction are fine it has an inherent design flaw.

Yes, it can handle 200 lbs. but if you only have 50 or so on it, the wheels will often not lock in place and will collapse inward on you. (The reason is that there are two metal pins on the bottom of the sole plate that insert into the wheel assemblied to keep them locked and parallel, but if there's not enough weight on the unit the pins slide out.)

You can find the Wesco on the internet for around $80 delivered, so I'd say it's worth the extra money.
  9. mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    I use a regular hand truck from Sears. Perhaps $30. I get the cab, the rack, the knapsack, folding music stand, and gig bag on it - one trip, car to bar. I use nylon ratchet straps to tie down the cab and rack, and looped through the handles of the other pieces. Takes me all of 90 seconds to load and unload. It's stair-friendly, and has pneumatic tires to handle the bumps and parking lots of the world.
  10. sricabla

Jul 4, 2003
    San Francisco
    Go to the Wesco Industrial products and check out the "Mini Cobra", on the same page is the one that other people are talking about. The thing about the more portable hand truck are the wheels. They will colapse inward after a while. It is cheaper than the mini cobra but I have seen the mini cobra in person and it will last you forever. Its a little bigger and heavier than the other one but you won't have to baby it and the wheels are first rate. A solid one time investment that will handle any gig situation.
  11. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have a huge handcart with pneumatic wheels and bars for going up and down stairs. I put about 130 pounds of gear on it and it goes anywhere. It takes up a ton of space in my Honda Civic though. I sometimes have to put it in the passenger seat.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, i was set on buying the Ruxxac, but B&H didnt have them in stock. :(

i'm still looking for a Rux, just in case, cause the Wesco only holds 175 lbs., while the Rux tops out at 225 lbs. or something around there. i just remember it being in the low 2 hundreds. also, i like the construction of the Rux more. the steel looks more sturdier than the aluminium.

you lucky dog! :spit:
  13. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The Rack n Roll is a great product. Carries 500lbs. stretches to great lengths. Doesn't weigh much and takes up little space when compressed. Can be used as a hand truck, dolly etc. The raised hoops at each end keep your stuff tight and give you handles to push with. Different wheels and actual sizes are available. Without extending it greatly I put four JBL eons (2/10s and 2/15s) a mixer snake and cable bags with room to spare. Or 4 2x10s and 2 Sm400s. I think American Music Supply has them in their catalog.
  14. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    if you're looking for something a little less expensive, go to your local hardware store (home depot, lowe's, etc.) and look at the furniture mover. it's a few 2x4's w/casters, and will run abour 25 bucks...

15. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I think the Ruxxac or something like it is worth the dough, if you have the dough. Lifetime investments are cheap in the long run. It has semi-pneumatic tires and goes up and down stairs OK. I haven't had any problems with the wheels folding in, but mine is pretty new.

Here's a snooty outfit that sells them:

I bought mine on line from another place, don't remember where. A Google search for Ruxxac gets you their website and some office supply places that sell them.
  16. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I just ordered a Rock-n-Roller micro cart. It's their smallest one - they claim it folds to "airline specifications" so you can use it as a carry-on luggage cart. It still handles up to 350 lbs, weighs under 20lbs, and works in both 2-wheel dolly mode and 4-wheel cart mode. It can even be used to tilt-back a cab (which you don't need but I traded in my tilt-back combos for a component rig).

rock-n-roller cart

There was an article in the Houston paper last year about them. The designer is a keyboard player (IIRC) who needed a better way to haul his gear. He designed the carts and started the company. They are now distributed by D'Addario.

Zzounds has the micro for $~78 (been out of stock all summer) has it for ~$69.95 but their shipping may be higher has it for ~$79.95 has it for ~$78

MF has it for ~$99.95

(can you tell I just did my price search on them the other day?)
  17. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
  18. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Get yourself a Tri-Kart 800. It's a pretty handy hand truck. It folds up pretty small and can hold up to 300 pounds. THe little wheelie bar makes things a little easier. And you can strap in your cabs with the bungy cords.
  19. Thank you for all the advice in this thread. I've been wanting a dolly, but I didn't want to lug one around...but I just ordered this:

RuXXac Extra Long Model...rated at 275lbs. Only weighs 11lbs.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I can't wait...and I got it from that snooty site! I hope it gets here by Friday.