Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

[Cartman voice] I'm gonna be on TELEVISION. [/Cartman voice]

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My band, Brittany Shane and the Nooners, will be playing on "Sound Gallery" on Berkeley channel 25 public access TV next tuesday, december 10 from 5pm-8:30pm.

We'll also be plugging out Hotel Utah gig:

Thursday, December 12
    Hotel Utah Saloon
    500 4th Street (@Bryant)
    8:30pm
    with Liz Anah

Still hopin' some of you can make it.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations on the exposure, Will!:)

Videotape your performance and pass it around, like that old instructional video that somebody lost.

3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Now that's an idea. Thanks:)

It'll be like the time Elvis sent his Caddy on tour.:D

4. I am happy for you, Will, but, sad that it is only your local T.V. that's carrying it. Let me know if there's a way to get a copy of a tape.

Good luck. Break a tibia. :)

Mike

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Good luck man, break a leg!:)

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Congrats and good luck! Wear a TalkBass shirt and give Paul some exposure :)

7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Now that's using your noodle.;)

8. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Who put the "bump" in the Bump-dee-bump, who put the bemp in the Rama-lama-ding-dong...

9. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Blackbird, that's awesome. Are any of the other local access chanels showing it? (like Channel 30 out here ;) )

10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Not a clue. Sorry.

11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I can tell you're all bubbling with excitement to know how it went.

Well, unfortunately it wasn't live. They just recorded us. I showed up around 4:45 to get set up. As I cross the (dangerous) street with my cab and head on a cart, I find that the ramp to the sidewalk is blocked by a car that turned out to belong to the receptionist. That was the feel of the thing.

You see, while Berkeley is a delightful place, the mood of the people takes some getting used to. In general people are very chill and good humoured, but that can be a problem when you're trying to stick to a schedule.

As it turned out, I, being the pro that I am (Or wannabe in the least) was there before even the TV crew.

Here's the kicker: We started at around 7:40. Hurry up and wait, I suppose.

There were three cameras. The producer guy told us to "use our bodies" while playing, meanin he didn't want us to be static while playing. At this moment, I felt that any band on shows like Letterman/ Leno are literally putting on an act. I did move witht he music as I usually do, but the camera definitely changes your attitude.

during the taping (with 3 cameras) the guy in the middle camera at one point got frustrated, ripped his headset off and stormend out of the room-and we were in the middle of a song! A lady who was the producer's liaison with the producer in the boothe took over for the guy who didn't return to the camera.

Toward the end, they told us they only had tiime for a couple more songs, meaning we left out quite a few. Still, it was fun and educational. I'll let y'all know when I get the tape.

One more thing; We have a gig at Hotel Utah this thursday. Starts at 8.

12. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Did you ever find out what he was frustrated about? Was he frustrated with you guys, the other cameramen, sudden attack of the trots, what?

13. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The producer has a habit, I learned, of getting excited during the taping and shouting directions into the camerafolks' earpieces.

They made amends afterwards, but I thought it was not very professional.