Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You know, I was thinking about some old cartoons theme songs and realized that they had some SICK basslines. Scooby Doo and "Verb" (Schoolhouse Rock), and "Naughty Number 9 (Sesame Street) were the best ones to me.
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I've found some really good basslines in video game music.

Particularly Xenogear's music on the world map (I forget the name of the song)
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Lupin III has a killer theme song, the music is just incredible.

As does Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

there are a lot of animes out there with great music, that is, if you sift thru all the crap :meh:
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For American toons, check out Chalk Zone on Nickelodeon. I hate, hate, HATE the show, but whomever they get for bass work is funky as all hell. I can almost watch the show because of some very sweet bassin'.

I'm also with WR, Cowboy Bebop is just as much music as it is animation.

BTW, WR, do you know the name of the song they play in episode 5 when Spike is falling out of the Church window? It's got that choral stuff in it... no clue as to the name.

Hellsing also has some groovy tunes as well.
  5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    While we're on the topic of anime's, "Akira" has great music, even though there probably aren't any basslines in the whole movie (all the songs are traditional Japanese drums)I think it's incredibly timeless and expressive.

Brendan: Could you be thinking of "Green Bird" off OST 2?

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra does a killer cover of the Lupin III theme.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That song is called 'Green Bird' nice use of a round, row row row your green bird gently out the window ! :p
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    A little trivia, The band that recorded the music to Cowboy Bebop is called Seatbelts, the composer's name is Yoko kanno.

The man that did all the music to Trigun was the lead guitarist in Seatbelts, and he is totally awesome, very creative voicing and phrasings.

Lupin III theme song was originally done by a group called the ventures(if I remember correctly) It is totally pizzlestain deluxe.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Okay, next Cowboy Bebob Q:

Episode 24: Chorus is "Please won't you call and ease my mind" Played at the end of the episode.

Hellsing music Q:
    Episode 13: Song contains "I cannot say you love me to" Or somethign very simmilar. Last song played before the credits. Not sure about it's name either.

Hellsing has some great electro-rock stuff.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Episode 24 song: "call me call me"

And it's from the 3rd OST "blue" is the mecca for all things bebop, they used to have EVERY single track available for download(low quality(64kbps), for reference purposes) but the webmaster took them down because it was too much of a hassle :(

Can't help you on the hellsing, I've seen a handful of episodes, but I wasn't a big fan, not a fan enough to look into the music :p I'll ask my friend though, he's a pretty big fan
  10. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Also, about 3 or 4 years ago when my kids were watching Blues Clues, I thought they had some pretty nice bass pieces from time to time.

11. jm1

Nov 12, 2003
  12. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I just read one of those info-bytes that stated that the place most people listen to music is on video games.
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Isn't that playing while Ed leaves after meeting her father?
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah...and hush you :p

some people haven't seen the series !
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, all, what, 2 of them? ;)
  16. well, i really like the jetson's theme, that has a cool bassline, even if it is upright bass!
    now only if i liked the jetsons ;)
  17. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have been thinking about this for awhile too, what cartoon songs rock.

I like the theme for "The Jackie Chan Adventures"

It's kinda funky.