1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carved Bass For Sale

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Jeremy Allen, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Hi everyone,
    I am offering for sale a 7/8 size double bass made by Joseph Holovnia of Massachusetts in 1994. It's a wonderful instrument: ebony fingerboard/tailpiece/nut, adjustable bridge, @42.75" scale and a thick (D) neck, violin corners. The bass is a dream to play and the sound (pizz. in particular--lots of singing sustain but very rich at the same time) never fails to earn compliments from fellow players, luthiers, recording engineers, and audience members alike. Great for jazz players (like me), but Holovnia's basses feel at-home in the orchestra as well.
    $9,000 includes a deluxe Mooradian cover. I'm the first owner and never considered selling the bass until a friend dangled a deal on his fancy German bass in my face...
    Located in NYC--please e-mail rjallen@earthlink.net for more info or what pictures I have. Thanks! And if no one wants to buy this bass...then I will never have to regret selling it!

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Projectile rotten fruits and vegetables on your way from Park Slope. I hope your red, plaid saleman's jacket is insured.

3. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Oh ye of little faith and great cynicism! Even now, my bass looks at me from the corner of the apartment with puppy dog eyes...I could be happy playing it for the next thirty years, but I'm tormented by the memory of another bass, lent me by a luthier in Pocatello, Idaho, for a concert at Idaho State U. last month. Bass envy is a terrible thing!
    Your rotten vegetable matter shouldn't have far to fly to reach me at the corner of Union Street and 8th Avenue in the above-mentioned Park Slope. Say, are you the same Ray Parker who played with Kurt Rosenwinkel and did a session at my friend Mark Small's house (tenor player in Astoria)? Or are you the "who you gonna call...Ghostbusters!" Ray Parker? Or neither or both?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    'Yup' on the first count and not the other.

7th Ave. and 22nd St. here. Actually a now forgotten neighborhood called Greenwood (I'm where 7th Ave dead-ends into the cemetery). The real estate crooks now call this area Park Slope, the locals either call it the Slope or Sunset Park, therefore I call it Sunset Slope...