1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Carved double bass for sale...

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by jar240, Sep 6, 2005.

1. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

Located in Ottawa, ON, CANADA.

The bass has been sold!

This bass has been a workhorse friend to me on more than 150 gigs over the course of 3 years. I love its sound, but have purchased a New Standard Cleveland which is more robust for the type of gigs I'm playing these days. This bass has a lot of character, as you can see from the photos -- it was in a car accident, arrived at a luthier's, and was reassmbled before I laid ears and eyes on it in his shop. Basses are very personal items, and this one will definitely find it's new owner, whether a seasoned pro or student; it's suitable for both.

I'm not sure how old it is or where and by whose hands it was built, since a replacement back was put on it at some point in its past, and the label inside is long gone with it. The only markings are either "I860" or "1860" stamped in the heel (see photo below).

It's setup with new D'Addario Helicore Hybrids, which work well for pizz or arco, and has an adjustable bridge. The action is fairly high 'cause I like it that way, but you can set it up however you like. Ebony fretboard, 10mm Goetz-style endpin.

There are a few cracks in the top, but they haven't worsened in the 3 years I've owned it. Two of the ribs are cracked thanks to the trailer hitch on my car (which I've since removed), and should be easily repairable. Two of the original wood tuning pegs have been replaced, one of which needs the hat glued back on (I have the hat). There are also some bits of the top missing near the corners where the purfling weakened the edge.

All in all, the bass has a nice warm tone. I've used it on several dozen ampless gigs, and it performed very well.

For photos (lots of them):

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    You put the price on your webpage but you forgot to put it here.
  3. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

I didn't forget; I left it out so I have fewer ads to maintain if I need to drop the price for whatever reason.

I'm asking $2100 USD / $2500 CAD.

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Hi Chris, it's Jeff who came by to check out the bass in August (Ken's student). I guess I never got back to you on it... but I ended up with the other bass.

I have to say, for anyone looking at this, it sounds really amazing. Huge arco sound, and a really warm rich pizz sound. I'd reccomend it to anyone.
  5. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

As several people have asked about measurements, I've taken them and added them to my info page. Here are the deets:

* string length: 42"
    * Eb neck
    * table length from bottom of neck heel to saddle: 42"
    * upper bout: 20-1/2"
    * lower bout: 25"
    * rib depth: approx 6-1/2" (doesn't taper from the neck heel as most basses do; has consistent depth)
    * bridge height: 5-3/4"

6. Hey Chris, forgive my non-expert knowledge of basses, but what's she made of, I know eb fingerboard, what about the rest ? whatever she may be, she definately looks nice....i'm still flip-flopping on selling my Hendrix model strat, if I do i'd have the $$ for a new bass

7. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

That's an excellent question, and the answer is, I don't really know. Most knowledgeable people have said the table is spruce, but I've also had a couple think it might be pine. Maple sides, from what I can tell.

But all this is moot since the bass has sold! 8-(

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Glad to see you sold the Bass. It looks a bit like my Morelli in design as it may very well be from the same Region in Germany. I'm sure the new owner will enjoy playing it.