Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carved Heel on 5 Strings......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfried84, Jul 31, 2005.

1. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    Hey guys I'm a builder and I am in the stages of building different basses and trying different things. I have decided on a few things but still need some opinions because I what I like and think is good some players don't.
    One thing that some people said who have played my basses that the heel was too thick so I decide to carve the heel way down.
    Anyway check out some of these pics of a bass that I have started to work on.
    Carved heel

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I don't know much about bass building but is the body supposed to be that thick? :)

3. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    the body is still going to be sanded on top so the thickness you see isn't the final thickness.

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    You should check out what conklin does with thier heels. very cool. You might also want to check out luthier's corner for some expert advice. But so far i wouldn't see why anyone would have a prob with a heel like that.

5. Looks nice! You're planning on rounding those edges out, right? Looks good so far!

6. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    yeah all the edges will be rounded I just finished carving the heel