1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

carved la scala bass sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rdwhit, Mar 23, 2006.

1. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    I'm getting a hybrid la scala,should have it in late april 06.Has anyone played a carved one with a bow and compared it to a hybrid with a bow? More fundamental ? rounder sound? more complex sound? volume? I sold my 1880 german gamba bass and miss the arco sound,though the la scala hybrid has many advantages.I play mostly amplified gigs,but would love a better acoustic arco sound for teaching, my own fun,and the occational symphony gig.I'm 45 years old and know a few things by now about ply vrs carved,strings,rosin,bows,etc.Any thoughts? Rob whitmer(rdwhit)

2. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I don't know how many fully carved LaScalas are floating around, so I don't know how quick you'll get a response, but I can tell you that if your hybrid LaScala sounds anything like mine, you will be a happy man.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Rob,

I don't know the answer to your question either, but I do know that forum members TBeers and Macmrkt both play fully carved Schnitzer & De Sola basses - you might try hooking up with them for some info.

BTW, I've heard that Pops rosin can get kinda gritty in the summertime...is this true?

4. I don't know about gritty, but it sure gets gooey, and it' s a bear to get out of cloth seats in the car. :crying:

5. Chris, are you reaching for the stick?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Mike - nah...Rob's an old friend and that's an old inside joke. Sorry for taking the thread off topic. :help:

7. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    Thanks for the info folks.Still waiting on the La scala-Rob's rosin requires repeated replacement-about once a year,due to summer grittiness on the strings.

8. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    Thanks Larry,I'm sure I'll like the hybrid.Just wonder if a carved one will be even better.Chris,the pops rosin line is my intellectual property,You'll be hearing from my attorney.Rob