1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

No longer available Carved Shen 3/4 SB200 excellent price drop--$3000

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by DDownbeat, Jun 17, 2017.

1. DDownbeat

DDownbeat

Apr 6, 2016
    Price:
    $3600
    Strings:
    Price drop!

For sale is my beautiful 2009 solid/fully carved 3/4 Shen upright bass. Flatback, gamba corners. Spruce top, willow back and sides. D neck. Model is Shen SB 200.

Great sound for bowing or pizz. Has been used in classical recitals and professional jazz gigs.

Easy to play and lightweight--easy to transport.

Condition: Very good / excellent. Other than a couple of the usual winter seam cracks, the only significant repair was that the previous owner had the peg box glued after the bass took a minor fall. The work was done by Mike Weatherly at David Gage. Mike said that the pegbox was in "better than new condition" after the repair.

Strings are Corelli 370F, good for bowing or pizz.

This may be the best carved bass available today at this price point. I tried a lot of basses under $5000 before buying, and liked this one the best. Shen basses are highly thought of by musicians and dealers, and widely regarded as excellent values.

It's a great sounding bass. Good for jazz or folk or bluegrass or for orchestral use. And a great step up for an advancing student.

Set-up work done by Mike Weatherly at David Gage.

Now asking $3000 obo. Manufacturer's price for a new SB200 is $4800.

Located in Rockville, MD, just north of DC.

This is a great price for a great bass!

IMAG0696.jpeg IMAG0701.jpeg IMAG0693.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    seang15 and Chris204T like this.
  2. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Absolutely stunning!

3. Kody2011

Kody2011

Feb 1, 2017

4. Kody2011

Kody2011

Feb 1, 2017
    Interested. I'm in Silver Spring. How flexible is price? And do you also have bows?

5. DDownbeat

DDownbeat

Apr 6, 2016
    Yes, there is some flexibility on the price. Come take a look and we can discuss it. I have a French bow you could use to try out the bass, but I don't have any bows to sell.

6. NGarrett

NGarrett

Feb 27, 2017
    New York, NY
    Interested in trying the bass. I will be in your area on August 1. If it's still available I would like to try it sometime after 5pm if possible

7. DDownbeat

DDownbeat

Apr 6, 2016
    Cool, I sent you a ms via "start a conversation".

8. fretless31

fretless31

Jul 29, 2004
    I'm seriously interested in this. Is it sold? Sorry to be a pest.

9. DDownbeat

DDownbeat

Apr 6, 2016
    Apologies for not replying sooner. I stopped looking for responses. I had two basses for sale, ended up selling the other one, and will keep this one.