Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carved Top Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gallienkrueger, Dec 13, 2003.

1. hey guys, i was wonderin how much it'd cost me to get a carved bass. Right now i have a Kay which is horrible and it is not really set up to do jazz or orchestral stuff, its more setup to be doing bluegrass and snapping, and on top of it all it just is not a good sounding bass in my mind. so i was wondering, how much minimally would it be for a carved bass? and with a c extension?

2. I'd say probably 5k for something you're going to actually want to play, maybe a little more or less. You probably won't find a bass with an extension in that price range, but there's no reason why you couldn't have one put on.

3. And you need a C extension because...?

4. I think all basses should have'em. Anybody who plays classical music at all will find one quite nice. Besides, it's always macho to be ably to hit that low C when nobody else but the tuba player can...

Oh and I'll take that prescott; it'd look nice in my living room.

5. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Bob G sells those Bulgarian basses for a bit over $2k. And my Romanian bass cost about $3200- I like it. I think it's a Gliga.

6. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    I have noticed lately some dramatic price reductions on Gliga basses. Seems to indicate a huge mark up from cost to "retail list price". I don't know if this is true w/ other new European basses, but it looks like serious bargaining can get you a good carved bass in the 3K to 6K price range.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Get your Kay set up properly before you dump thousands into another bass. A local teacher had a student who went off to study with Gary Karr that played a Kay. Might as well maximize what the bass can do before you get rid of it (not to mention that it's always good to have a backup for when your "main" bass has to go into the shop).

Yeah, if you're serious and have the dough you will eventually want/need a good carved bass but in my shopping I found it impossible to get a carved bass less than $5000 that sounded SIGNIFICANTLY better than my two laminated basses...a sobering discovery.

8. i play in an orchestra. that plays lots of classical music that calls for it.