carved top of multiple pieces

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, May 27, 2002.

1. I have a carved 5 string and the top appears to be 5 separate pieces.
    One large piece gowing through the middle and separate pieces for the upper an lower corners.
    The back seems to be 4 separate pieces.
    Is this common? Is it an indication of the quality of the instrument?
    It's only about a year old but has a very nice sound.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Very common. Look through the Kolstein site at his basses. There are very detailed descriptions of each bass. Mine has two pieces fro the front and back.
  3. Thanks for the response. I have seen 2 piece tops (halfed down the middle)
    Having separate pieces for each corner was new to me though. Have you seen more than 2 pieces?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think that I recall an old Italian at Kolstein's site with more than 4 (or maybe 6) pieces joined for the front. Like I said, check out his site and see what there is to see...
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Almost all basses have multi-piece tops and backs. Here are a few interesting bits from K's site:

4-piece back, 2 front

Multiple-piece front (what the blazes does that mean?) and two piece back

4-piece front, 2-piece back

4-piece top, 3-piece back

6-piece top, 2-piece back

'nuff said?
  6. I had a Hungarian (?) bass with a 4 piece top that was very nicely made and played "big".
    Remember that the glue joint is stronger than the wood itself.
  7. I did look at Kolsteins site and while most were 2 pieces, I did find a couple of exceptions.
    Thanks for pointing me there.
    I guess what is striking me is how different the wood appears. From what I could tell by the pics online,
    the wood seems quite evenly matched compared to mine.
    I assume this is simply a cosmetic thing. Truth is, I got an exceptional deal and am looking for factors to explain the cost.

Thanks again,
    Dav e