Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carven j99 vs H50

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eilif, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Can someone please tell me the tonal and output differences between the carvin j99 and h50?

Thanks.

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    also, is there anyway to visually tell the difference between the two pickups?

3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    The J99's are singles, and the HN50's are humbuckers. I only have experience with the j99's, and contrary to a lot of opinions around here, I like them. I recently switched from chromium wrapped strings to Pro steels, and yowsa! Gobs and gobs o' tone!

Visually, the J99's have a small dot on the left side of the pickup. The HN50's do not.

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    The j99's are quite a bit brighter and have more output than the h50n. Of course, as with most single coils they hum when used independently. Quite the tone however, when balanced.
    The h50n's are quiet in any blend. I have a Carvin fretless that came with h50n's(standard at the time) and tried a pair of j99's and didn't like the results. Very 'nasal' sounding. It was wearing Labella tapewound strings. I put the h50n's back in and am very satisfied with it. I also have an lb70p fretted and very much like the lone j99 combined with the hb2.
    Carvin has updated the h50n (now dubbed h50s) and is the standard pup unless otherwise specified. I don't know what the change is between the h50n/s but I suppose it'd have to be an improvement.

5. wEEman33

wEEman33

Mar 12, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'm considering putting in either a pair of J99s or a pair of H50Ss (or then again, maybe a combination of the two pickup styles might be a decent option?) in my fretless Douglas WEB-846 and was looking for a few more opinions on the sound differences between the two. Can anyone help me out?

Right now I am favoring the J99s simply because they are about $40 cheaper on Carvin's site.

6. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I have J99s in my bass, and although I can't give you a comparison, I can tell you that I really like my tone.

One thing to consider is that Carvin's J pups are the same length for bridge and neck positions, whereas most J pups are slightly shorter at the neck than at the bridge. Not a big deal anyways, since Carvin uses the blade design instead of poles.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have the J99s in a Carvin BK 4 I put together. They're a high oputput pickup with a good midrange presence. I find them good for rock and blues live. Like any single coil they are more prone to pick up noise when soloed. No worse than Fender in that respect. I think they are an excellent pickup for the money. The Fender stock pickups sound a bit more "vintage" to me.

I tried a Carvin LB20 with the H50s and by comparison found the sound a bit tame and lifeless. The J99s are much more up front and present. They record quite well too, but do inject their personality into the sound more than many humbucking types I've tried.

For the price it's pretty easy to buy a set and try them out. You can sell them if you don't like them and not lose too much money.

Yes, they are of equal length so this may factor into installing them in your bass.