1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carver PM 1.5 playing up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by idoru, Apr 11, 2006.

1. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    G'day all,

1) apologies if this is the wrong area to post this question in.
    2) the answer is 'get it fixed', if you want to save some time :)

I was checking my gear out & getting in some practice before our gig last week, when I noticed some very unpleasant distortion coming out of my rig at low volume. I checked all my settings, batteries and connections & unplugged all extraneous signal processing devices from the chain.

Warwick Thumb 4 BO > SansAmp RBI > PM 1.5 > Trace 1248H

Distortion only occurred on low notes on the E string, and sounded very much like a dying battery or clipping SS pre-amp. Given that we were doing a gig with vocal PA only that night, I was very concerned.

Now, the PM 1.5 is a stereo power amp - the last option I had was to swap sides, and all thanks to Saint Cliff*, the other side was running as normal.

Obviously, I need to get it fixed before the other side breaks down also. Do the symptoms described sound familiar to anybody? I'm hoping it's nothing major - this amp has been doing sterling service so far, another one of my bargain-bin specials. Yeah it's old, but 450 watts @ 8 ohms (per side) is a heap of juice, and I've _never_ had to turn it past halfway on the master volume.

cheers for any help - I'd like to get both channels running again, as I'm looking for a little foldback wedge to feed to our drummer during gigs like these where there's no band in the PA at all.

* Saint Clifford of Burton, the patron saint of bassists who are addicted to wah & fuzz :)