Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carver PM350: Any experiences/knowledge?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rboyce, Oct 6, 2005.

1. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    (broken out from another thread...)

So, in my ongoing quest to find an affordable and complimentary power amp for my newly acquired BBE 383 preamp, I stumbled upon a used Carver PM350 power amp at my local GC. They have reduced their asking price to $175. The problem is, they (of course) don't have any info/specs on the amp, and I didn't have enough time on my lunch hour to have them remove it from their rack in order to check out the back of the amp.

So, does anyone out there have any experience with the Carver PM350? If so, could you tell me the input/output options, as well as power ratings/options? And if you've been relatively happy with its performance and reliability? I've already checked the Carver website for documentation, but I could not find anything for this specific amp. Nothing on Harmony Central either.

Thanks again,

ray

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Well, the best info I could find quickly is: 350 watts @8 / 450 watts @4.
    The Carver pro stuff, at least before they got bought, was pretty good - Clair Bros. were using it for mainline PA duty, and it doesn't get much more abusive than that. Not sure about the current stuff, though, and did not see that there was a 2 ohm rating - so can't help you there. Good, lightweight amps. QSC before QSC in many ways . . .

- Tim

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Get it. My Carvers have run flawlessly for ten years. GCs ignorance is your gain.

4. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bill-

Sounds like you've got some great experience with the Carver. I think I'm gonna go back and grab it before someone else does.

One question - I would be feeding the PM350 with a signal from a BBE 383 Bass Preamp, and running the ouput from the PM350 into a single 8 ohm cabinet rated at about 400 watts. Therefore, I don't NEED all 900 watts of available power when running in bridged mono mode at 8 ohms. Would it be safe to run the amp in dual channel mode (non-bridge mode), but only using 1 of the output channels? In other words, would/could I damage the amp by running it in dual-channel mode but using only one of the output channels? I ask this because I see that the PM350 produces 350 watts per channel at 8 ohms when running in dual channel mode. This is the ideal amount of power that I would ever need to send to my speaker cabinet.

Let me know what you (or anyone else) thinks.

Thanks,

ray

P.S. A really helpful Carver support rep emailed me a PDF of the user manual, so now I've got all the specs.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There's no problem running one channel as long as you have no input the the unused channel. But unless you're using that channel to drive something else- your own monitor, for instance- you might as well bridge them up and get the added headroom.

6. jedwards

jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Colorado
    Excellent power amp IMHO. Used it alot for about 8 years gigging about twice per week, moved it around a ton. Never had any problems with the power amp other than a heat overload once in extreme conditions. (outdoor gig in August in the sun at full output) - even then the problem was resolved by letting it cool for five minutes and placing it in the shade.

Excellent clean power amp, and a great deal at 175.

:mad: Forget all I said here - the power amp I was refferring to is a PM-900, not the PM-350.