carvin 1 15 cabs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, Jun 22, 2005.

1. im looking into buying a cab to go along with my carvin 2 10 and my peavey nitrobass. the 1 15 looks pretty nice, i know there are alot of anti carvin people but what i still dont get is why they think that, so if your gonna say carvin is crap, plz just say why you think that. it seems like a good value, its also the only cab i have found with a 18 inch plus depth to support the 2 10. i know that dosnt really matter but whatever. Opinions please on the carvin 1 15 cab.

2. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I love Carvin amps and have had nothing but positive experiences with them. I would buy one. People will probably say that there are better cabs out there, and they may be right, but not for the price. Good luck.
  3. That's not a bad cab. It has decent sound, and is capable of producing some good low end.

I've used the Carvin 2x10, and 1x15 cabs with the Carvin R600 head many times. I'm just now beginning to dig this setup. In the past I found this rig to sound bland. Now that I'm more familiar with the head, I'm able to dial in an extremely punchy tone.

Ok, back to your question. The 1x15 is fairly light, and the handles are well it's a breeze to carry. I've noticed that it now comes with a tweeter. I'm not sure what brand of speakers they use, in the past it was Eminence.

My main gripe? The whole "Redline" theme. Red tweeters, red knobs. I should call Carvin and ask if I can order a R1000 with chrome knobs and the cabs with black tweeters. :D Wonder what they's say.

I'm impressed enough with the sound to consider purchasing an all Carvin rig.
  4. I've been using a Carvin 1x15 & 2x10 rig for about 13 years.
    I've been fairly happy with my sound. I used a Carvin PB500
    head until last year, when I switched to a Pre/Power amp rig.

I'm still using the Carvin speakers, and since I stopped bi-amping,
    and am now running them "full range", I've been even
    more pleased with the tone.

My 2x10 has no tweeter, and neither does my 1x15. I've just
    started to get a nice round, punchy, full tone the last few gigs.
    But that's partly because I finally took out my owner's manual
    for my pre-amp.

Anyway, I'm a fan of matched speakers, so if you like your
    current Carvin, and want to match it up with a 1x15, then
    by all means, go for it! You and your band are the only ones
    who really need to be happy with the sound.

Just watch your Ohms. My 2x10 is switchable 4 or 16 Ohms,
    and my 1x15 is 8 Ohms. My power amp handles one speaker
    per side. Hope you consider that when getting a new cab.
  5. thanks alot for the feedback, and by the way the peavey nitrobass can carry a 2 ohm load so the 2 10 and 1 15 will work fine.
  6. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    That's going to be a sweet rig. Good luck.

7. +1 Should be a great combination
  8. sweet thanks, when i connect the 2 cabs, should i use the 2 outputs on the head? or should i atach one to the head then through another cab output connect the other cab?
  9. I would start by using one output per speaker.
    If it sounds good, and it's loud enough, then you're all set.
    (Just watch your Ohms)
  10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA

I owned two Carvin amps in the past, and was badly disappointed in both of them. When I got tired of sending them to the repair shop, I gave them away.

Does that help? :meh:
  11. so u didnt like them because they broke alot?
  12. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I had a Carvin power amp (used as a PA) that has been nothing but trouble. This is anecdotal and a lot of folks have had very reliable Carvin amps. The mains (PA speakers) also had their reliability problems (may have been the amp though).

Never had a problem with the mixer, and still use the wedge monitors (light, sound okay).

As for bass gear, I had a Carvin 410, hated it, poor tone (lows were weak, overall was muddy). Played through a Carvin 210/115 rig (with both a Peavey head and an Eden head). Hated it, poor tone (had lows, but was also mud).
  13. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    That goes without saying.

Do a search on Carvin amps; there are numerous reports of reliability problems on this and other forums.
  14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Just don't look at the Carvin forum. Magically, everybody there thinks their gear is the best stuff on the planet!!! I wonder why? :eyebrow: :rolleyes:
  15. I would add that 15". I did see a new Carvin 15" with a tweeter.. I would get that....

My experiences: I have a R1000, 410T, and a 118 for about 5 years.

The Carvin cabs may not be boutique-level cabs, but I like my 410 more and more every gig. It is surprisingly full and rich, especially in my last outdoor gig. I play a G&L 5-string, BTW

The 118 worked awesome, but the 410 handles all my gigs, and that means only one cab to lug around. So, I have put the 118 into retirement, and used it as a PA sub a few times. Worked well for that.

Head is perfect after getting the factory cold-solder problem for $50. Small price to pay for 5 years of use.

I've gotten tons of compliments on tone from other musicians, including bassists.

My 2 cents... (more like 3 cents - sorry)

16. BigSky Bass Guy

BigSky Bass Guy

Apr 15, 2005
    "if your gonna say carvin is crap, plz just say why you think that. it seems like a good value"

You just had to get me started with Carvin, didn't you? "Good value" = "Crap."

I'll start by saying I use their 2000W and 600W power amps. Am I happy? Well, they've continued working now for 3 years, they do what they're supposed to do. And for almost $1,000, I would expect that.

Unfortunately, I also spent thousand$ on a bunch of their other crap, which stopped working immediately. A 150W bass amp, a 12-channel unpowered mixer, a guitar wireless, a microphone, it's all crapped out. Calls to Carvin got me excuses: "we don't sell sell the parts, that's old technology. But we WILL sell you new stuff." Huh? KMA, Carvin. Like I'll give you more money if you can't back up your junk to begin with?

Yes, my older 410 cab still works, but sounds like thin, weak dog squeeze, and is now a door-stop in the basement (but that was MY FAULT... I demo'd it before I bought. But I was stupid, and didn't demo any other cabs. I've since discovered ALL other cabs sound better.)

I gave them many dollars, and many chances to make me happy, but they flicked me away like a fly. Hey, Carvin, negative PR can be a bitch, huh? My goal in life now is to diss Carvin Crap.

But don't take my word for it: check out all their mediocre reviews on Harmony Central. If you still buy from them, then you've made your choice, albeit an unintelligent one. Go with Peavey and you'll never be disappointed.
  17. I have two Carvin PB-100's with 15'' speakers and they will absolutely blow the windows out of the house if I turn them up past 3 on the volume control. For the price and the great sound, it's worth it. Also, these are combo amps, very light and like Carvin says ''VERY LOUD". I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. ........bigobbottom
  18. While we are on the topic...I have a Carvin R1000 (which i cant seem to get a good tone out of yet, seems to have a very steep learning curve but thats beside the point) that i run through a RL410. Would a 115 be a good addition to my setup?
  19. Timidbassist:

I would say if you need more volume/bass, then add the 15".

I recommend a 8-ohm cab, if you plan to use both full-range, so you can bridge the R1000 if you want to.

If you want to bi-amp, then I say get a 4-ohm, so the 15 gets 350w, and the 410 gets 225w.

I also PM'd you with some of my experience on getting good tones out of the R1000.