Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin 1-18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Hey guys, Got the opportunity to get a carvin 1-18 snd i was wondering what all you guys think about it. I will be pushing it with a hartke 7000

2. woo hoo go carvin

3. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    hey born unwanted.... how does that 8x10 carvin handle the low stuff? ive got a warwick 5string and
    the carvin stack...1000 watts, 1x15 and 4x10. it sounds beasty(bridged) just wonderin how all 10's does...

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i dont own one, but i do own 2 carvin 4x10's the rl and the v series.

imo for the money carvin is the best bang for the buck with their cabs. overall they sound great.

but for an 18" i wouldnt go with them. The specs are my main reason. Their 18's dont get as low as as some other brands out there. (At least on paper I dont like the freq response of them, could be a bit deeper.) Another problem i have with carvin is they are highly inefficient and mine tend to distort at higher sound levals, at lower to moderate sound levels they sound great, nice and full, warm and rich. but when you need to get loud they just dont cut it imo.
    this is my personal experience with the 4x10's about inefficiency and distorting, the 18 may be different but i doubt it.

Id avoid the carvin 18" pay a little bit more and get a different cabinet. itd be a more worthwhile investment in the long run imo.

5. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    hey harley....
    are you getting that thing used? if it's really
    a great deal then i would at least buy it for practice and small gigs. but if you need something thats really gonna put out and perform at higher levels i'd probly save the dough for a higher end brand. but i have been nothing but pleased with my carvin stuff, and my bass lines are very demanding. i often hit notes as low as an A# ans i play alot of slap. carvin definitely does give the bang for the buck!
    bornunwanted. ya if i went all carvin 10's i'b probly get 2 4x10's too....

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Cassanova, I have an Ashdown MAG 400. Would the 4x10 work well with it? How much does the cab weigh? I have a Bag End S15 D and it's not enough when I play with a loud drummer. I was thinking about either getting another 15 or the 4x10...I like the Bag End because it's so light.

7. when i went to the carvin shop and tried my 5 string btb through the 8x10 it seemed to have a lot of low end. i mean the volume was on 3 or something and it was rattling the store heh. about the two 4x10's, i would like to do that, and probably will actually. it's just that i would buy everything seperately and that would add on more money. i can save up more though, i just need to sell my SWR crap!

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dont know a thing about the Ashdown Mag400, is it 400 watts at 8 ohms? or 400watts@4 ohms?

The RL 4x10 is a 600 watt, 8 ohm cabinet. If your head can push the full 400 watts @8 ohms, it would do you well and sound better than say 200watts@ohms. If you run it as a stand alone cab, then 400 watts would be fine.You want as close to 600 watts as possible with this cab, due to its inefficiency.

The cab only weighs in at 70lbs so its fairly light.

You can always order one and try it out and return it within 10 days if you dont like what your hearing. Only drawback to that is you have to eat shipping costs for the return trip.