Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin 1018 people! how do i get max volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aaguudis, Mar 8, 2002.

1. aaguudis

aaguudis

Apr 3, 2001
    Portland
    i have the carvin 1018 and yeah, im still figuring out the damn head. i got it cause i never wanted to deal with not being loud enough, cause my band is loud. but i must not being doing something right because a lot of times i get the peak indicators lighting up, the ones on the amp volumes.

what would be the setting on the r1000 for maximum volume without blowing speakers?

also how do i make sure i dont blow the speakers on it? i know it has some kinds of protect modes for somethings, does this mean it will not allow me to blow speakers? or can the cabs handle all the power that the head can put out?

anyhelp about this stuff is appreciated thanks

2. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I'm pretty sure it can take it all....I forgot the watts(rms) those things can handle, but that 18 sucks up alot of power....I don't think you'll be blowing the speakers anytime soon...

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    An occasional quick flash of the clip lights won't hurt anything.

If you're seeing them a lot, though, try dialing up a little bit of compression, and/or take out some of the bass boost.

The protection circuits on most amps, Carvin included, are intended to protect the amp from pathological loads (like a shorted speaker cable), and the speakers from a catastrophic amp failure. They will not protect your speakers from damage due to overdriving or excessive clipping.