Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin 112AG

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tritone, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Just out of curiousity, I tried this out yesterday at Carvin (I was in the neighborhood):

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=112AG&CID=GA

Amazingly, it put out quite a bit of sound for such a small box (although I probably wouldn't put my 1200 watt Ultra through it....). I haven't been a big fan of Carvin bass gear over the years, but this thing seems pretty cool. It's actually the extension cab for their portable PA/AG amp. At 26 pounds, it's a feather-weight. Anybody else ever try one out?

2. I haven't tried that Carvin cab, but it does seem interesting. The weight is stupid light.

How was the low end response? I've inquired about this cabinet before and Carvin stated the frequency response is 48hz-16k, same as the AG100D combo.

Also, what amp did you try it with?

3. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I tried it with the AG amp, but I turned off the speaker in the combo so I could just listen to the ext cab. It put out about 100 watts. I played a Carvin 6 into it. It sounded pretty full range, believe it or not. It seemed to have good low end response, so I think think it's fairly rated. It did well when I pushed it, and it even hung pretty well with slapping.

4. It has a 300 watt speaker so it should be able handle it's own, a pair of these cabs would probably be ok. This may be a lightweight "sleeper" cab. I'd like to hear them with my Focus amp.

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have the Carvin PB-200-12, which is the discontinued 12" version of the ProBass 200 combo with the same speakers/cab as the 112AG. Most of the times I just bypass the pre/power section and use it as a speaker cabinet. I've used it with some fairly powerful heads (Mesa/Boogie Bass 400, Eden WT-400, GK 400RB, Ampeg B2R) and it takes what they put out. It doesn't go super deep, but it does have a rich, detailed midrange and smooth top. It's especially good for pairing with clean-sounding cabs to add some grit--it sounded GREAT with an SWR Goliath III Jr. 2x10. Size and weight are very attractive, I don't know why Carvin hasn't marketed it as a portable bass cab.

6. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Thanks winston, you pretty much summed up what I heard, and what I was wondering! :D I think Nickleseye may be right about the "sleeper" tag. Carvin's literature states that it's been tuned for bass, so I don't know why they haven't made more buzz about. I never would have have considered using it as a stand-alone, if I hadn't stumbled onto to it in the lobby of the store.

7. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    Do you think a pair of these 112ag's would go well with a new BX500 amp? It'd be awesome!

8. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Sorry to resurrect this thread yet again but after some testing this morning I'm going to go with "yes" in answer to this question. I picked up an AG100D and 112AG from a local seller to use as a small PA in the basement and decided to see what the pair would sound like through my BX500 - the result was punchy and round with some nice bite when called upon. Overall the setup had a great 212 vibe to it.

I'm more of a 10" guy myself, thus the upper mids were not quite as apparent as I'm used to so I tried the AG100D on its side simply as an extension cabinet for my BX500-based BR510N combo (2X10) which tends to be bass-shy. The result of this config was some beautiful sonic bliss - the 12" handled the lows well (including the low B) while the 10's gave me the rest of the sound spectrum I love.

Thumbs-up to this sleeper bass cabinet for its value factor $199 new!). Big performance in a very light little box.

9. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    I have been using one of those for years! I use it with my Carvin PB-150 (10" combo) to play most every gig I had. (clubs and private parties) It gets quite loud...the 1x10/1x12 combo it really shines. Lots of compliments on my sound and abilty to cut through and project a solid bottom. It's a deal....and a cheap tag along cabinet.
    [​IMG]

10. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Right on - I'm glad I happened upon this little cab, for sure.

11. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Zombie thread alert, but I had to resurrect this one. I've been using a 112AG cab for a while now with my GK700RB amp in low to medium volume settings, and agree that it's a sleeper cab for bass. So much so that I just ordered another one to use in a stack for higher volume gigs. The tone is good, and it seems to handle what's thrown at it from my perspective. This is with 4 string bass and upright, so I can't say what it sounds like with a low B. I do use a Hipshot and the drop D is fine IME.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there. It's a good little cabinet for the money, IME and IMHO.

Cheers,
    Liam

12. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    I've had one for about a year, and have used it with both the BX250 and 500. The cab is definitely a sleeper. This makes for a very portable setup for jamming, small venues or practice. I have been pleasantly surprised with all that I've gotten from Carvin.

13. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    My second cab is scheduled for delivery by end of day today (Friday). Can't wait!

Cheers,
    Liam

14. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Here's my 112AG stack, with GK 700RB head and my fretless P bass. Forgive the messy room!

[​IMG]

Sounds nice and full. I'm digging it!

Cheers,
    Liam

15. I just discovered this thread from a search on 112AG. I've been interested in the 112AG for some time as a reasonably-priced small cab alternative.

Liam, it's interesting to see you playing these and liking the sound. I know a few years back, you were playing Genz-Benz Neox-112T cabs, but then had to downsize. How would you compare the 112AG cabs to the Neox cabs you had?

I've been looking at the Genz STL-2-12T cabs, but dang, I can't seem to make myself spend $600+ on one of those.

16. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hi Michael,

The Genz Benz Neox112t cabs were the best cabs I've ever played through. The 112AG is a good cab, but not in the Neox112t category imho. The Neox cabs were deeper and richer.

Overall, though, I'm pleased with the 112AG cabs. They sound better than they have a right to given their price. They do everything I need them to do.

I hear you on the Shuttle cabs and their pricing. One option that's closer to the 112AG in price are the new Focus cabs from Genz Benz. Those 112 Focus cabs seem like a good deal. Still $100 more than the 112AG though.

Cheers,
    Liam

17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Absolutely. Even a BX250 with a pair of them would kick because they're fairly efficient cabs.

18. I cross-posted this on the Carvin forum here. I have noticed that Carvin is now offering a Neo 12" bass speaker. There have been posts on TB about people swapping the Eminence 3012HO into the 12" combos of 4-5 years ago. Along that line, I have recently contemplated the idea of putting this new replacement 12 in a 112AG cabinet. This would beef up the power handling of the cab quite a lot. This is also designed as a bass driver instead of being multi-purpose. The 112AG stock speaker is probably the old standby PS12-8.

I just checked the TS parameters of the drivers, and the PS12 has a teeny Xmax of .9 mm compared to the NE12's 2 mm. The latter is still fairly small compared to the Eminence 3012's, but it's a lot better than stock for those who want to play louder than the PS12 will allow.

Of course, when you spend $250 on a new 112AG and $120 on the neo 12" driver, you're up near $400 with shipping. This might make more sense if one already had the cabinet, or if you could get a used 112AG fairly cheaply. (I noted optikhog's post above from 2010 where he mentioned a $199 price on the 112AG back then. Carvin has been slowly increasing prices the past 3-4 years.) But that's still a lot cheaper than a new G-B Shuttle 12" cab.

But from what has been posted in this thread so far, it sounds like the guys who've played the 112AG like the sound with the stock driver for lower-volume applications.

19. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I've thought about swapping Eminence 3012HO's into my pair of 112AGs, and might do it someday, if WinISD indicates a decent fit. A lot of money to drop into bargain cabs though, and I'm pretty satisfied with the stock drivers for now.

p.s. Michael if you ever get over to Nashville, you're more than welcome to demo my cabs ...

Cheers,
    Liam

20. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Anyone using this with a 5 string? How is the low end response on the low B?