Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin 15 or 18 w/2X10........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CamMcIntyre, May 6, 2001.

1. Carvin 15

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Carvin 18

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok-as suggested, i would like to know which one of these do you guys, all mighty talk bass brethern, think would work best for me. I'm gonna use my MIM Jazz & Ashbory. The situation is Marching Band-class 5A football fields [not sure if that makes a difference], 5A Gyms, Auditorium that seats roughly 1000 people. I plan on using the cab with a 2X10 fed by most likely the R1000 or R600 head. The reason for Carvin is i don't have the money to buy a super high quality rig-also conditions vary greatly-sometimes damp even [gonna get surge protector & all those toys]. Your thoughts will be appreciated. thats all

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Advising others rather than personal use, I'd go 15". It's more versatile, gets higher frequencies than the 18", and doesn't miss out on much that the 18" offers. Plus, if anything should happen to your 2x10"s, you're still in good shape with a 15" instead of the booooomy 18."

I have the 18" but that's just a personal quirk. It blooms in big rooms. Were it not for my 4x10", it would just sound lost.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    thanx rickbass-you've got a point that i didn't think of along with the what if the 2X10 dies, it'd give me 2 good choices for single cab works instead of 1. I'm leaning towards the 15 now-plus its less expensive. thats all

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Fender - Well, if the 2x10" had a problem, the 18" would be okay if all your sets were Papa Roach songs, (never get off the B string). :) The 15" does just fine with the R600, but the 18" begs for the R1000, IMO.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    the parts are for a kinda jazzy marching band peice [i haven't gotten music from the director yet-should be here before may 31 {marching band starts june 8}]. I don't have a 5 string-yet-plans in future for a 6 but not yet. thats all