Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin 1584 PA speakers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jondog, Feb 12, 2005.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm a fan of Carvin instruments, but not their PA gear (amps and cabinets). Their cabs have a "cardboard" sound to me, and I can identify them at 300 yards. I'd go for a lower end of JBL before Carvin. Even my MR-925s (discontinued line) sound better than Carvin.

FWIW, my band played at rehearsal today through my new EAW JFX 590s and SBX 220s. Judas H. Priest! They sound so clean in the mains, and the subs just kick gluteus. Compared to my old Mackie SWA-1501s, those little 12s in the subs just blow them away. The subs' frequency response goes down to 32 hz. I played straight to the board through an Avalon U5, and the bass was clean and tight, even down on the B string. I'd say sell a sibling or hold a bake sale to get the coin to get beyond Carvin.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Take a look at the Yorkville PA speaker line, they're really good bang for the buck. This series might work for you: http://www.audioeast.com/yorkvilleperformance.htm

We had the 2-15 ones in a local club, they were pretty nice for the money actually. You might find a better price elsewhere, but be sure to factor in the free shipping. I wouldn't get too hyped about 2-way vs. 3-way for inexpensive cabs, personally. I've heard quite a few cheap Carvin PA cabs, I'd pass on them. They do have a more upscale line now that may be OK, or not, haven't heard them yet.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The JBLs are nice, I've used 'em. FWIW, Yorkville uses B&C drivers, which are also found in many EAW speakers, but it's still apples and oranges. I haven't heard the NX series, but I have my eye on them. The Unity series gets a lot of good press (and are 3-ways), but it sounds like that's out of budget for you?

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My school uses all carvin speakers and amps...

They don't sound bad at all... We use the powered 15's for marching band and such, and they sound just fine.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, the Unity series is too expensive for me. $750 is my absolute max for a pair of mains, especially because it looks like I need to buy another power amp.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ever A/B 'em with something else? You'd discover that they don't sound all that good.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well, for our purposes, they rock.

Its not like we are a professional group that needs high end gear... With 2 towers (2x15's, horn, 2x8's) and 2 1x18's, plus 2 DCM2000's, it is plenty for us. The cheer leaders use it at football games, and the system cranks.

It sounds good, far from "bad". If we had the money for mackie or JBL etc... we'd probably have it. But for budget systems, carvin kicks ass compared to anything else.