Carvin 2x10s and a 5 string

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Sep 10, 2001.

1. I brought the top half of my rig (Carvin 2x10 & 600 watt head) home the other day and I'm having trouble getting good lows out of it. I don't know if it has been so long since I heard it seperate from my 1x15" cab that it is just a shock or what. What are some of you Carvin 2x10 owners setting your head up like to get some good 5 string meat?

And while I'm on the topic, how about a general Carvin tutorial. There are a lot of knobs on this thing! :^)
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i used to play through the R1000 and a 410, occasionally adding a 15. I found that using the mid shift switch depressed actually made my bottom end a lot bigger...
    quick tutorial from memory... although reading the instruction manual would be a lot better

Gain, just play hard and turn it right until the light blinks a little... unless you want gnarly distortion, this should work fine.

Blend, blends the solid state and tube signals... or tube emulator depending on now new your amp is.

Pre-shape buttons, pretty self explanitory... they boost the lows, and/or the highs. There is a mid boost whether you want it or not, but the switch changes the frequency and the amount..

Ignore the bridging frequency knob and Biamp mode button, until you get an extension cabinet.

The noise gate is kind of useful.. but horrible if your band has stops in its songs, when you come back in, it takes a second to get a signal, so therefore is no good IMO.

Parametric eq is tricky... but easy to explain.. one knob controls which frequency to boost/cut, and the other controls the amount.. one suggeston, boost the knob all the way, then mess with the frequency until you find something you like or don't, then boost or cut as needed.

goodluck, i don't know about the combo, but that's definately a cool head.
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I could be wrong, but I believe that's actually a mid CUT. Have to check my old manual at home if I still have it ... Whatever it is, I also found that the amp sounded much better with the mid shift button pressed in. YMMV.
  4. The Carvin 2x10 won't give you any lows with your 5 string.

1) Carvin publishes the Thiele-Small data for the drivers used in this cabinet. Each 10" driver wants 4 cubic feet of volume, and the combined pair would be ideally located in 8 cubic feet. The 2x10 cab is nowhere close to large enough and the bottom droops accordingly.

2) I've played this cabinet a great deal with my RB5 and the lows just are not there.