Carvin 4*10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bas_anton, Jun 29, 2001.

1. I´m thinking of buying a Carvin 410 because of the price.Can somebody tell me about them. PLEASE!
  2. They are an 8ohm cabinet with a 600w power handling. They are punchy and seem to take quite a beating and keep on ticking.

I like mine. Is there better out there ? Yes.

Do they cost twice as much ? Yes.

Could you do worse than a Carvin ? Absolutly, you could do alot worse.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That 8 ohm cab is one of the goofy things Carvin does, IMO. 8 ohms delivers the least power/headroom with either of their R heads :confused:

Maybe they know a 4x10 is very a popular cab and they think the owner will end up craving another cab from them to bridge it with.

That aside, I think Carvin 10's do the best job of all their speakers. Their 15" and 18" will bail out on you if you have the lower freq's boosted and the gain up. Still, I get sufficient sound in any room where going through the mains isn't necessary.
  4. tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    what kind of head are you gonna be running with the cab? i have this cab in a biamp setup with a 1x15 and the r1000 head. its good and punchy, it doesnt have the growl or character your gonna get from an ampeg or whatever but im happy!
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I think the 4x10 has a great sound too it, especially for the price, imo, they give you the most bang for your buck. They provide, deep, rich, punchy lows, throaty mids, and very crisp highs. They have good and well balanced sound. They imo are also constructed very well and will last a very long time. And being rated at 600 watts it can handle more power than many of its competitors and more than you would probably ever need to use during a rehearsal or gig. The only drawback to me is that it is 8 ohm, I had to buy another one to run my head to its full potential. Other than that I have no complaints.
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    8 ohm for a 4x10 Cab is the Standard...
    Ampeg, SWR,Hartke, GK, etc etc
    Every 4x10 is 8 Ohm.
    Eden offers a 4 ohm model too.

Why 8 Ohm?
    Because a 4x10 is mostly designed to be part of a Stack, not a stand alone cab.
    So 8 ohm gives you the flexibility to add another one in case it is needed without going lower than 4 ohm wich is also the impedance most used on heads.

Again: Hartke, Ampeg (Excepting the Tube heads) ,SWR, GK, etc, etc.

What I dont like from Carvin is that the 1x18 and 1x15 is only available at 4ohm
    I do understand their intentions of a Bi-amp system where the 1x18 and 1x15 get most of the power.
    Actually the R1000 is designed to handle 2 4x10 on top of 2 1x18 or 1x15´s...
    Or if you want..
    4 4x10 on Channel ONE + 2 1x18´s or 1x15´s on Channel 2...
    Or maybe..
    8 4x10" (Am I going Insane?)
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Luis - I think you stated exactily what I was getting at, only I stated it in reverse. MikeyD, our TalkBass electrical engineer, is a Carvin owner and has the same gripe about this.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    thats another thing i dont like about carvin, i ordered the 1x15 from them a while back to couple it with the 4x10 and had to send it back because i didnt realize the difference in ohms. I recently bought a Carvin V 4x10 at a store here, Id rather have a 15 than 8x10's but the ohm difference turned me off.