Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin 410 Cab Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HiFi, Jul 5, 2004.

1. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I'm playing a Carvin R600 with a 410 Carvin cab. I usually have the horn set at around 8. At practice a few days ago the cab starts creating fuzz and a very annoying distortion when my attack gets stronger.

I fiddled with it awhile to see what the problem could be and even inspected the speakers and found nothing that would lead me to believe they are the problem. I turned the horn off and the sound is pretty much gone. I don't have the same tone without the horn, which is somewhat disappointing, but I can gig with it as is at least.

What I want to know, is if anyone has had a similar experience and if they found out what the problem was and what can be done. If I simply buy a new horn and install it, could that fix the problem, or could it be wiring?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Sorry I can't help, but did you try posting a question at the Carvin BBS? You'll get some help there.

3. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I sure did. Posted the situation and questions a couple days ago and have gotten no replies or help so I figured I'd bring it to a wider audience, perhaps someone's had horn problems even if it's not a Carvin and can help. :help:

4. If the sound stops when you turn the horn off, it sounds like a horn problem to me. You could look at the wiring to the horn and see if there are any obvious problem. I dont know horn wiring schemes or anything, but you could probably buy and install a new horn and it will probably fix the problem.

5. I am almost certain that your horn is out. Tell you what, since you live in Downey and I live in Hacienda Heights, call me (626-806-8804) I think I have a Carvin replacement horn for you (free) or email me: JSCHRO7376@MSN.COM

Cheers

Jorg

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Wow Jorg! That's very nice of you! TB is so incredibly awsome!

Does the horn have any protection circuitry? The reason I ask is because my cabs have a light bulb that lights up when I overload it, turning the sound into "fuzz and a very annoying distortion". It could be that's happening to you as well but you've never actually looked at the cab at the right time to see it lighting up. It's common.

If I'm right, replacing the horn won't fix it.

7. No, but the carvin crossover does have one. And since I have a red line carvin horn it should just do fine.

By the way, Pete, thanks for the compliment. I believe we bassists should help each other if we can :)

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's great to see in this day and age. Besides, I believe in Karma - what goes around comes around! May good things come to all the friendly and helpful TB'ers!

9. So do I, Pete :)

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Bassable...have you tried your amp through another cabinet that has a working tweeter? You might want to make sure that the amp isn't creating the fuzz that appears to go away when the tweeter is turned down.

Jorg...as Petebass wrote, very nice of you!

11. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    JSCHRO - Thanks so much. I will give you a call tonight if you post that it's not too late, or I will call you tomorrow during the day. I appreciate the help so much.

You will also be receiving an email soon. Thanks again.

12. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I want to and thought of that but I can't think of anyone that I can test the amp head through. If I meet with JSCHRO (Jorg) then I might also drag my amp head along if it is okay by him. Thanks.

13. bassable, just bring your cab, I have several bass amps, and we can check quick what's wrong with it. You'r only 15 minutes away from my place.

:bassist:

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Jorg...my point to bassable was that he needs to check his amp out too (with another cabinet that is known to be functioning properly) to make sure that the fuzz isn't coming from the amp and and is only produced or at least accentuated by the tweeter in his cabinet.

There could be some high frequency junk that is produced by the amp that is being masked by the natural rolloff of the 10s. It appears to go away when he turns down the tweeter, but it's really still there....just rolled off a whole bunch of dB.

Sure it might be a blown tweeter, but it's worth checking out the amp while he has an easy opportunity to.

15. Billy;
    I already emailed him to bring his amp and cabinet to my studio.

16. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Great! Please let us know what the outcome is.

17. will do

18. Ok, Gregg stopped by at my studio and we came to the conclusion that the cab is fine (after using one of my bass amps). His R600 is distorting and shows a tremendous loss of power, which is possibly caused by the old preamp tube. I suspect that Gregg's R600 is the Series I, which is known for preamp tube problems. The only thing I could do for him was give him directions to the nearest Carvin store, which is ~25 minutes away. I'm curious about the outcome.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Billy strikes again :)

20. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    First, I want to thank Jorg for all his help. He is a very friendly guy and very knowledgeable. I am eager to get some time to try out his cabinets that looked amazing in his studio, but I had little time to get to the Carvin showroom before it closed so I missed out. I loved the look of the cabs and hope Jorg is still willing to make some when things turn around financially.

I got to Carvin and showed the person at the counter the problem. He wasn't really sure what to make of it. I told him the possible source of the problem from what Jorg thought and while the Carvin guy was very nice and tried to be helpful, he had no clue about the amp and the best he said they could do was send it to repair and then give me the cost after fixing. I'm strapped for cash at the moment so I can't risk that but I am placing a call to the repair department in the morning to ask what a new tube installed will cost.

I may now be on the prowl for a used amp in case anyone cares to know and you may soon see my need in the classifieds (may be looking to trade and add cash if someone wants to downgrade and thinks they can fix the problem). For now, I will hope for the best with it in calling Carvin again, but I really want to know what amp Jorg was running through my cab. Forgot the name even though I tried to make a mental note of it, but is was very nice.