Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin 410 Problems???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shkinnyBOB, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Hey guys, I'm new to the more powerful amps and cabs, I've pretty much been relying on my old Peavey TNT 130 for a while, which wasnt quite giving me enough power, so I finally came up with the money for a new rig. I went with Carvin stuff and got the 4x10 cab and R600 series 3 head. I played it for a while and really liked it, but when I turn up the master volume and gain past 12 o clock, anything below a low A gets a little distorted on me, not really alot, just a little dirty. I'm wondering if it's a wattage problem or is it just that I got what I paid for. I play a Spector Q4 and its a little better if I turn down the bass knob on it, but if I go down all the way I don't get the low end that I like. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Feel free to bash Carvin gear because I've heard plenty of it from my buddies.

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    As many have said before me Carvin heads are great but their cabs leave something to be desired. It sounds to me like it could be your 4x10's speakers. Carvin's have bad low end efficiency I guess you would say. You could probably mess with your graphic EQ and bit and it might fix it a little. But your best bet I'm thinking is to get rid of the 4x10, keep the head and by a new 4x10.

3. I have the same setup, I noticed it often after playing for about an hour at practice. The problem is that the cab isn't that efficient and I don't think the drivers are all that good either. My solution was to put a 1x15 underneath it, man what a difference in the bridged mode. Make sure its an 8 ohm cab and you will get the full 600 watts from the R600, the carvin 410's just can't handle the low end so you need to add something that can.