1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin 4x10 cab vs Avatar 2x12 cab ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgce, Oct 12, 2009.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Bang for buck and tone?

Carvin BR 410, 68 lbs, $359, $408 with shipping.

Avatar B212 (neo), 56 lbs, $389, $437 with shipping.

I plan on getting the Carvin BX500 micro head. Which way to go for a cab?

The Avatar seems to have an edge in that its 10 lbs lighter (a big plus!). Its only $20-ish more expensive. However the Carvin may match well with a Carvin head. Also, I've never owned or even played a 2x12 bass cab where as I'm more familar with a 4x10.

Feedback, anyone???

Thanks!

2. gaffster787

gaffster787

Aug 22, 2009
    FLORIDA
    I just picked up a bx500 amp (like it) and run into a carvin 2x10 cab for the punch and a lsx1503 main cab for the full rich sound. even though the 2x10 gets twice the power -the loudness generated is about equal. personally, i hate lugging around a 4x10 because of their awkward shape and size.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've lugged back breakers for years! I really want to keep it simple this time around. I'm getting that BX500 with the carry bag and one cab. If I can't do it with one cab, then I'm looking at the wrong cabs (I'm not doing and arena tours, after all!).

I figured for most situations I'd have the 2x12 or 4x10. And mabye for smaller deals, I'd eventually pick up a 1x12 (likely Avatar). I don't want more than one cab for any sized gig which is why I wanted to try out a 2x12. I always thought the idea with these cabs is that you're just about getting the bottom of a 15' but also the punch of 10's more or less. If this is true, and if I can pull it off at only 56lbs, I'm thinking Avatar is the way to go. Bummer I can't A/B test which is why I'm here asking for advice.

Thanks!

4. MonsterTruck88

MonsterTruck88

Sep 4, 2008
    I don't think you could go wrong either way. I've owned Carvin cabs before (BRX 2x12) and they make very durable, dependable products. However, I prefer 2x12's to 4x10's, so I'd go with the Avatar... also, the Avatar is lighter and less bulky, so it would be much easier to transport.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Based on the reports I'm hearing I think I'd roll with an LSX1503 if I were going to buy a cab on a budget these days.

6. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I gig with an Avatar 212 plus a 210. Sounds great, however I don't feel good about the 212 alone for a bar gig.

I'm planning on getting an Avatar 410 to stack with the 210 for bar gigs, then I can leave the 212 at church and not have to lug it in and out.

The 212 gets plenty loud for church, and has a great warm tone, but I think a 410 will work better for me in louder settings.

So, I guess I would say go for the 410. But why not Avatar?

7. I cart around the BX500 with the BRX10.4 neo and I'm 55 yrs old. It's not that big a deal, since the cab has casters. As far as the sound goes, playing thru a '08' MIA Fender Jazz V, it's great, punchy, deep low end, clarity, you name it, it sounds great.

BTW, for the extra money go with the BRX cab.

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    One thing to think about is the Carvin BR 410 only come in 8 ohms unless you get the neo and that's another $100 or so. The Avatar come in 4 and 8 ohms so you could get all the power out of your amp with it. I'm sure the BX500 would be pretty loud with an 8 ohm 410 but if you are going for a 1 cab gig rig you would want all the power you can get.

9. IMO....Not a good reason to choose one cab over another. I've always believed that if you really need the extra 3db of volume a 4ohm cab provides, you really need a more powerful amp.
    Make your choice based on tone, weight, size, looks, etc.

Forty years of bass playing under my belt and I use a G-K 700RB II or 800RB with one 8ohm 4x10 for loud Classic Rock, and can add another 8 ohmer for big stage gigs. That's why I buy 8 ohm cabs......IMHO as always :)

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I plan to get an 8ohm cab just in case I ever want to push more air with a 2nd cab. However, the current goal is to have a simple and light rig; micro amp, light bigger cab for most gigs, and down the road a small (say, 1x12) for the quiet stuff. I don't want to deal with heavy stuff or rely on potentially temperamental casters. I don't want a lot of whistles and bells, pedals and gadgets. I want to plug in and play with good solid tone. I want to be able to set up and break down with relative ease. And though I'm fairly fit and exercise regularly, the only heavy weights I really want to lift are in the gym. Technology has given us these neo speakers and micro amps at a surprisingly reasonable price. I see no reason not to take advantage of it.

11. I can relate to everything in your post except.....
    :hyper::hyper:

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah, and I make one hell of an omelet too!

13. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, I've considered an Avatar 410. I guess I was thinking about the non-neo Carvin 410 and the Avatar 2x12 because of the simular low price. The Avatar 410 will likely bump me up to over $500. Still a good deal but I was planning on aiming low ($$) and light.

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Check out the LSX1503 :) seriously. They're down to 300 bucks on Ebay and get really good reviews.

15. If I needed a cab that put out as much volume as a 2x12 or 4x10 this is the way I would go for sure. From what I understand these LSX1503's rock and I think weigh in at about 50 lbs, for $300 they are a steal.

16. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks. I'll check the reviews. I never really considered a PA cab. Guess they're built to handle the lower frequencies, no? At 58 lbs, its about the weight of the Avatar 2x12.

Gotta do some homework but thanks for the tip!

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    No problemo. It's a PA cab, but the driver in it is IIRC the same as the Carvin Neo bass 1x15 (which is not great but decent). It'll get about as loud as a 2x12 probably, maybe a little louder from what I've read.

People have done some mods on them, such as replacing the stock woofer with a 3015Lf or a 3015, for more power handling and a little more sensitivity. But, a lot of guys are using them stock and seem to like them fine.