Carvin 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, Jul 13, 2002.

1. I wondered if anyone has an opinion on the Carvin 4x10. I'm thinking of buying one from my local dealer but they have nothing to compare it with.

Has anyone got experience of using one in a fairly heavy band?
  2. I've had one and liked it a lot. The mid-bass and highs are really good.They sound deep but for 5-string and drop tunings you would need a good 15"cab to go with it.They get pretty loud on their own though if you have enough power.Lots of guys on this board don't like them but I'd play them on a gig any time.I use Edens now because they go lower without a sub but the Carvin is a good deal for the money.
  3. Yes I've seen all the negative comments.

I did go and try it since I posted that question and I have to say I wasn't impressed. It sounded very nice at low volume but when pushed a bit it started to break up quite badly in the bottom end.

As you say, good highs and mids, and good for the money but I'm looking for something a bit better.

I'm looking for a 4x10 that is lighter than the normal 90 - 100lbs and the Carvin seemed to fit the bill but if it sounds iffy in the shop then when confronted with a muscular drummer and two guitar heroes with Marshall half stacks it'll probably roll over and die.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I know what you mean about the bottom end, Andy. Mine is paired with an 18" to make up for it.
    Plus, Carvin made the 4x10 an 8 ohm cab, so it doesn't get the full power potential of their amp heads! :confused:

You might take a look at Genz-Benz's XB-2 series, (not their "Live" series). My other cabs are Edens but I've used Genz-Benz XB-2 cabs several times onstage and I was really impressed by their volume and low end, especially for not being top-dollar cabs.

The weight may not be to your liking though. Better 4x10's just seem to run heavy.

5. You can say that again, and with brass knobs on.

The only other lightish 4x10 is the Hartke Transporter and the majority opinion in these posts seems to be that the Transporter is the poorest of the Hartke range.

I would like to try Genz-Benz but unfortunately they are not available over here as is the case with a lot of the gear I see mentioned.
  6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    The Ashdown MAG 4x10 is light, really light. It should also be a better deal than the USA-made stuff for you. I haven't tried it out though.
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    tried the mag was good just scared of a cab that shallow. will try it more this weekend and let you know.
  8. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I used to play Carvin's but there are better sounding cabs if you can afford them. My advice is to find a good used higher end cab , like a Bag End,
    Swr pro series, Eden, Aguilar,etc.
  9. I've just found a used Bag End for next to nothing. I wasn't aware that they even had a distributor in this country. They really are the DBs. But heavy, OMG. 106lbs!!!!