Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin 5er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rusmannx, Oct 1, 2001.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
  2. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Ok, I give up. What are you trying to get us to look at. I know the Carvin site. Maybe I can get a link to work. But the copy/paste thing won't even save that one.

I take it it's an LB75 of some sort?

3. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    yeah that's the one. sorry about the link
    -russ-

4. Looks nice. I was playing a Warwick "Jazzman" this past weekend and loved the tone. Driving home I realized that the pick ups types are the same as Carvin so I think I have to check them out more. Yours looks nice! Anyone have new info on the XB 35.5 inch scale 5 stringer?

Before anyone gets started I know I am not going to get Warwick tones from Carvin, and the MEC's are very different pick-ups. But I am refering to the types of P-ups (MM and JAZZ)

5. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I've been playing Carvin basses since '87. My LB70, which is the four string version of that LB75 you like, has been my main bass since '89 or '90. I just ordered a new BB75P.

I don't think you can go wrong with Carvin basses.

What options, wood, pickups, etc do you plan on getting? It comes standard with a maple neck and alder body sides, active electronics and J99 single coil pickups. That's a pretty good combination right there, but all options are half off right now, so If you want one that's really tricked out, this is the time.

6. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i really don't know what kind of setup i want. i want something that has a snappy sound, but can really dig in low when needed. ever listen to primus? he seems to hit it all. of course, he also uses several basses.
    -russ-

7. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Well, you might want to stay with the standard maple neck/alder body sides, but the swamp ash bodies have everyone excited right now, that might be worth a shot. J99 single coils probably or maybe the HB2 option which includes an HB series humbucking pickup at the bridge with the J99 at the neck. I've heard really good and really bad things about the HB's. People seem to either love them or hate them.

There's a lot of talk about this subject on the discussion boards at www.carvin.com .

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i own a hb2 on my lb 75.. i hate it...

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    As far as I know, the only think that isnt good or excellent in the Carvin Basses is the Pickups.

I have yet to try my own, but all the people that has tried them has the same impresions.

10. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Mine has different pickups. They are the stacked humbuckers that were on all the Carvin basses before the H50's came out. They look like one half of an M22 guitar pickup, have 11 exposed, individually adjustable pole pieces. They sound as good as any bass p'ups I've ever heard. To compare them with, say, some barts I've tried,would be difficult because they are too different, but that's the closest thing I could think of. Really exceptional tone. If anything, they may be just a tad weaker on the bottom end than a lot of other pickups, but my active electronics can more than compensate if I need more low end. I usually don't, all my eq on the bass and on the amp usually stay completely flat. I don't need the eq at all because I like the way my bass sounds so much. The V440T I used to have had the same pickups, or a very similar earlier version of the same thing.

I have not tried any of the pickups that are currently offered.

11. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Why didn't you send it back?

Since I ordered the P-Series, I had to take the HB bridge pickup. I did get them to put a H50N neck pickup on instead of the J99, because I've always preferred humbuckers. I may eventually buy a J99 so I can swap then out and see which one I really like better. But, when I get this thing, if It doesn't completely blow me away, it's going back in the box and going right back to them. Even if I do have to pay twice as much to get something I like better, I'll do it. I'm going to get what I want. If I can't afford it right now, I'll just save a little longer. But I won't keep a bass I'm not happy with. I would not be afraid at all to tell them to build me one almost like that, but change this and this, even if it means waiting another eight weeks or whatever.

12. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Is that koa or walnut? And which finish is that? Mine is going to look very similar to that: koa sides, 5-piece maple neck with koa strips, tung oil finish, black chrome hardware, but mine is a BB75 with the wider body, longer strap horn and wider neck. And I got it with no inlays on the fingerboard. That is a good looking bass though. :)