Carvin 5'ers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HWK2, Oct 28, 2002.

1. I've been looking at fives for a while, I think the extra low range would be beneficial.

Electronics: How is carvin in this department? When I was looking last I heard alot of things about Carvins being great basses with rather bland or poor electronics, that this was their weakness. Can anyone comment? I'm leaning towards the HB2 option (with Bridge humbucked /w coil splitter), anyone with this option give me insight into the sound on the HB2? I don't think I'll go with the P series..

Its been about a year since I seriously looked into one.

B String: How is the B on the 34 compared to the 35 1/4 scale? I'll probably string it with some pretty high tension flats (I prefer high tension strings) like Rotosounds, but how is the B in general? There is nothing that bugs me more then floppy strings :)
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i have a carvin 5 with the normal scale, and the playability is the greatest. it's strung high C so i can't tell you about the B-string tightness..

i can say that i hated the electronics though... i got barts put in it about 4 months ago and it's sound has improved exponentially. The OEM MM-style pickup and preamp were very muddy and full of low mids... it was hard to get anything clear or thumpy... all subjective words i know, but thats what it sounded like to me.

I replaced the whole electronics setup, so i can't tell if it was the pickups or the preamp.

If you are thinking about replacing the pickups though, don't get the wide asymetrical neck option, because finding a replacement MM style pickup will be a big fat problem.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    My fretless Carvin is rather old, so I don't know if there's been any improvements as of late. But the pickups & electronics in my bass are really weak (I have the H50 humbuckers) and the B string is floppy and thin-sounding (in the same league as some $200 Samicks I've played...). My plan is to string the bass EADGCF and install a better bridge pickup and go passive, but I don't know if there's a stock pickup model that fits? (6-string jazz models are quite rare) Ah well, I think I have to improve my intonation before I begin playing it seriously anyway...