Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin 6 for Angie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angus, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    So, after searching for like 12 years for a backup for my Modulus (so i dont have to take Modulus's to practice!), i think ive found it. I decided i wanted a 6...for the sheer hell of it (a new challenge), and i think im gonna get a Carvin. Not sure about options (Anyone one if on the LB76, if i click on Abalone Blocks, will i automatically get a neckthru? It doesnt explain!!!!) yet, but im gonna get something. Anybody got some color/options suggestions? Its a personal thing yes, but i have no clue. So ill take a tally! Give me some ideas, people!

Anyone got any experience with a Carvin 6? Id like to know what people think.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So you've been looking for this bass since you were two?Sounds like you need to do a little more research. ALL LB-76's are neck-through.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Carvin Website Option selector does NOT work right.
    I highly recommend that you ask for a catalog and then check the order via FAX or Email.

My CHOICE would be like this:
    Carvin LB76 A ( The A means Aniversary Model)
    The aniversary model includes : Flame Maple Top (AAA), Rounded Body Sides, 5 Piece Neck-Trough(Maple and Koa) , 3 Piece Body (Alder Back, Koa Mid, Maple Top), 2 stacked humbucker pickups with active/passive electronics)
    Headstock Match.

Options (That I would like)
    Abalone Block Inlays
    Quilted Maple Top (Natural or Transparent Blue)
    Bridge Humbucker (Maybe, Maybe not)
    Engraved Truss Rod Cover (With my Name :) )
    Tung Oiled Neck. (Only if I pick Natural)
    Gold Hardware

PLEASE BUY IT THAT WAY!! If you dont like it, I will buy it from you at 50% the price you pay. :)

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wow, thanks guys! Buuuuuut, no Carvin for Angie. When i learned it takes like two months to get...I decided to go with a custom Salas...for cheaper. Whee! Thatll be the next thread. Hehe. :) Sorry!

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    You broke my heart!!!
    I will never forgive you this!!
    :)

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Im sorry!!!

::Cries::

I was SET on a Carvin, and THEN i learned for the same amount of build time, and LESS money, i can get better stuff, and exactly what i want. So im getting a Fodera Monarch style 5 or 6 string. Not sure. Whatever it has, itll probably have some sort of crazy top.

7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Mega, you have WAY too much money to spend. Did you ever consider how much it will cost for living expenses when you're older. I can't say I wouldn't do what you're doing if I were in your position, but I just know that money I spent in the past could have been usefull a few times (like paying rent, insurance, and bills or investing in stocks).
    But hey, it's your money. You're young and buying this stuff now may be a good idea. Who knows what the future will bring?
    And getting a fodera to backup a modulus? You are kidding, right?

8. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    The cheapest Fodera I've seen was $3800.00, 6 strings like $5500. I haven't seen anything in the price range of Carvin (custom type stuff that is.)

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Haha, silly Rojo. Its a Salas bass, that will LOOK like a Fodera Monarch. From far, it will look like a Fodera, but wont be. I dont exactly have $3k (minimum) to shell out. As far as shelling to much money out, not at all. This is will be my last bass until at least i go to college (intending to go to music (bass) college, so maybe buy something for that). Im selling my Tobias to pay for this, and ill still have to shell out maybe $300 tops extra. Which is fine, i earn $100 a month off allowance alone, and i earned $620 in two months a while ago. This is the first thing i alone have paid for. I can handle it. I wont be paying for living expenses for a while, either. Im paid for (college, living, insurance) through college. Im buying stuff now so i dont have to later. Get it while the parents will pay. Honestly, im not spending too much.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Im not getting a Fodera! If you read my last two posts youll notice i said "i decided on a custom salas" and "im getting a Fodera Monarch style 5 or 6 string." Not a Fodera Monarch...just one like it.

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm trying so hard not to hit you out of jealousy. GRRRR! I'll just have to slap the living hell out of my bass...

::plays "get up and jump" until thumb gets blister::

Okay, I'm better. I was wondering about Salas. I saw them at Bass Alone's website and thought "Why would I buy a Carvin if I can get a Salas which is about the same cost and looks much better? Do they have a website?

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    What about money? Bills??
    Bah..
    I have 200 BASSES!!! And dont have a penny to eat!!, A friend of mine lets me use his computer. but.. I HAVE 200 BASSES... WHAT ELSE Would you dream Of???

Answer = (200 Sets of strings, A couple of Ampeg Amps,Swr Cabs , and a girlfriend with 100 Basses)

Seriosly, If you dont enjoy while you are alive. (Counciously of course) Making your dreams come true, Just dont Live.

:)

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LMAO, silly Rojo! ::runs and hides::

Yeah, that what i thought too. They dont have a website, but if you contact joe dimaggio at bass alone, hell tell you about Salas's, because he deals with Salas's customers and tell prices, etc. Basically the secretary. But he takes like 9 years to tell you your quote. Kinda long. I emailed him like last week, and he still hasnt told me. The thing that sucks though is you dont get a lot of customization. All of them have 1 piece bolt on maple necks, maple or ebony fretboard, 24 frets, and 34" scale. And the hardware isnt changable. And he still hasnt told me what the body wood is or what the hardware is/what color it is. He doesnt seem to be very good at answering questions...because ive asked him these things and he wont tell me. So i still dont know what the body wood is (but theres no options!) and what the hardware is. GGGRRR. Oh well. You can choose the top wood, and electronics, and of course, what it looks like....and thats it. So it has its ups and downs. Oh well, it is only my backup.

14. JOE DiMaggio works at Bass Alone? The Yankee Clipper? Mr. Coffee? WOW! I thought he was dead.
    I think the guy's name is John DiMaggio.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    ...and you'd be correct, Dave. I haven't dealt with Joe since the 50's.

16. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Oh A Fodera style. OK. That wasnt apperant in the "show me yours Ill show you mine" thread.
    I wonder if Jim Palmer wants to build me a bass???
    Id go for a doubleneck 5-string. Sorry JT my hands a F-ing tiny. I can hardly do a 6er.

17. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    You can hardly do a six?! I can barely do a four! Damn girly hands.

Oh yeah...every time someone sez the "Silly rojo" thing, i think of rojo having breakfast with the trix rabbit. Weird?

18. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    What the heck? Salas won't tell you options? They only make a bolt-on 1 piece neck model? I saw neck thru ones on the site... I think. If Dimaggio is being difficult with questions... well, the baseball thing is getting tired.
    Anyway, Trix are for kids.

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ok, what the hell ever! I MEANT John DiMaggio. But same thing.

Yeah, for "custom" people, they only do bolt-ons. Whee! So whatever.

Next person who mentions baseball and my typos gets burned at the stake.

Silly Rojo. Eating trix. When i picture the name "Rojo412" i pictured a mexican mountain man with a red beard, scantily clad in mountain wear... eating honey nut chex. The only breakfast cereal that brings families together. This mountain man eats it with his goat. Weird?

20. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, you aren't too far off. I'm a large red haired man of various backgrounds with a shabby goatee and I'm usually clad in cargo shorts and a t-shirt. I usually eat drivethru fast food with my goat, but never chex.

Bolt on is custom... maybe in the context of an MTD bass or a Modulus, but who would add money to the cost of a bass to have it bolt on?

Best of luck with the Salas, though. And why don't you like warwicks? The Thumb BO is a damn nice bass.