Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin 6 string neck widths

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, May 28, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I'm looking at jumping to six stringers soon, played an Ibanez SR506 and was converted almost instantly, however I was checking out Carvin as well. According to their website Carvin necks are 2.05" at the nut while Ibanez are 54mm (2.126" by conversion) and it seems wierd because the Ibanez seemed really narrow but perfect for my taste. The Carvin's look much wider than that in pictures, is this really the way they are?

Has anyone played a six string Soundgear and a six string Carvin to compare?

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The BB76 and LB76 are 2.05" at the nut, and XB76 is only 2". Never actually played them though.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Seems a little narrow for a sixer, wouldn't you say?

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It is narrow - that's why I like it.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Is it too narrow where you're tripping over other strings? I found the Ibanez to be considerably narrow, almost too narrow, but easy for chording.

6. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I'm not sure, off the top of my head, which one is correct. But the width at the nut is the same on the LB76, BB76, and XB76.
    They use the exact same neck.
    The XB basses have the bridge located 1.25" further away from the nut. The frets are moved down accordingly. That's why they have 22 frets instead of the 24 on the others.

I'll try to verify the correct width and get back to this thread.

Mike

7. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    The catalog lists all three as 2.00" at the nut.

Sometimes stuff like that can get changed a tiny bit in the way the instruments are made and never get updated in the catalog or website. Or maybe something gets updated in one but not the other - creating confusion. :rollno:

It might be just a case of rounding differently in different places. We generally say our string spacing at the bridge is 3/4" on the four-strings and on the wide-neck fives, 5/8" on the regular (narrow) fives and on the sixers. They're Hipshot bridges and I believe that's the way Hipshot lists them. But Chucko has posted on the Carvin forum that he measured his with a caliper and they're slightly wider than that. I do not doubt him. I just think Carvin published the closest round number.

Check back next week and I'll try to have a definitive answer.

8. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    We're saying 2.00" at the nut and 3.25" at the last fret.
    That's what's listed on all three in the catalog. (Although the catalog actually says 3.25" at heel, whatever that means. I mean, I know what the heel is, but it's not a precise place to take a measurement. :rolleyes: )

I did go down to the showroom to check. But the most accurate measuring device available at the time was a 12" wooden ruler. And I was measuring basses with strings on them. I could say the nut is 2" or a hair more and the width at the last fret is 3 1/4" or a hair less. Therefore I would not dispute either of the measurements we've seen without something more precise to guage it with. I'm sure it's just that someone rounded it this way on one day and rounded it the other way on a different day.

But all those six-string necks are the same.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    they are narrow, but i really like the size. if your style consists of a lot of slap, it will definitely take some getting used to. but i fingerpick 99% of the time.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    So, how many millimeters are between strings at the bridge and the nut? All this english measurement is wonky (even though I'm a smelly American :p ) I'm normally a wide-neck kind of guy, but I'm willing to try narrow spacing if it means getting to play a Carvin.

BTW, mgood you rock!

11. I've played both and own a Carvin

As far as I'm concerned, in the same price range, Carvin far exceeds Ibanez in sound and construction quality IMHO. I'd go with a carvin deffinatly

12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I find the Carvin neck damn slim (especially in comparison to the Spector) but it's one of the comfiest necks I've played (especially in comparison to the spector...) Can't help you on the Ibanez..

13. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    It's supposed to be 5/8" string center to string center at the bridge saddles. But someone measured it and says it's actually slightly wider than that.
    Not a wide neck.

I like the wide spacing on the fives with the 3/4" spacing at the bridge. The first fives I tried, I hated because of the narrow spacing. But I do not have large hands. So if I get a six, I'll probably be perfectly happy for the narrower spacing.