Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin 6815 Cyclops combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeeP, Aug 29, 2002.

1. LeeP

LeeP

Aug 22, 2002
    Frankfort, KY
    Anybody have any experience with this combo? There are several on ebay right now. My son the bass player says go for it, Dad the bass player (me) says "I dunno." What do y'all say?

2. Don't...

I've never actually tried this combo myself, but I have tried a couple of Carvin speaker cabs (4x10 & 1x15) and they didn't do it for me. They just don't have all the bottom that I feel every bassist needs.

IMHO their amps are pretty good and their basses are excellent; so it's not that I don't like Carvin... I just think their cabs (that would also include combos) don't have the ability to output the tones you're gonna need.

Lastly, that has to be one heavy mother. I'm a convert to the "less is more" theory of bass equipment. I can carry my bass, head, speaker cab and misc items all in one trip. I know the price is probably right but there's more to consider than $$$.

Good luck!

3. You should also read the thread titled "Why am I clipping?" to get others opinions on Carvin speakers.

4. LeeP

LeeP

Aug 22, 2002
    Frankfort, KY
    Would that include the r600/210 combo as well?

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm kind of a Carvin fan, though not a fanatic. I think both the basses and the heads are very good, but the cabs don't light my fire. Of the cabs, i thought the 210 was decent if you don't rely heavily on a low B string, but the Cyclops just didn't work for me, and it's more awkward than I like to boot.

But a Carvin head paired with a better cab (used is fine) can be an excellent cost-effective rig. For example, an R600 (the same amp as in the Cyclops)--or better yet, an R1000--plus an Eden D410XLT sounds pretty darn good. And I wouldn't be surprised if you could get fine results with, say, an Aguilar 410 or an SWR Goliath, or whatever.

6. I'm going to have to agree with Richard Lindsey on this. The Cyclops is just too big, but the R600/210 paired with another great cab (2x12, 1x15, or ???)could be a cost effective yet great sounding solution to your problem.

Don't shy away from Carvin... they make great stuff that is VERY cost effective. Many TBers don't like their cabs, but if you play a 4 they might do well for you.

BTW, I think it's great that you and your son both play bass. Same as me and mine. :D This last Sunday my son played upright bass, I played my fretless 5, my other son was on rythem guitar while my daughter played congas. We added a lead guitar and drummer and knocked out a killer version of "Jesus Gonna Be Here" for our church. :cool:

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Lee - If you're interested, shoot an email to me (I noticed there's no way to contact you through Talkbass).

I'm a long-time Talkbasser who has a Carvin RL6815 Cyclops cabinet, (just the cab) that never even broke a sweat. I've been meaning to offer it for sale on Talkbass but just haven't gotten around to researching a fair price for it yet.

I already have two stacks that I can divide for lower volume situations and the Cyclops just doesn't get used.

Getting just the cab and the head of your choice can often save you some money.

8. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I owned one when they first came out and it was below average. I sold it . Try an Ashdown electric blue if for practice. If you need more power try a Gk, Eden, or Swr.