Carvin 8x10 cabs???????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    Does anybody here have/gig with a Carvin 8x10? How does it compare to the higher end 8x10 cabs?
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's loaded with Carvin PS10s. which are Eminence OEMs virtually identical to Eminence Beta 10s, which are virtually identical to the OEM drivers that Eminence supplies to Ampeg. That should be enough information to draw a logical conclusion.
  3. So would my Carvin RL 410 have those speakers?
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yes and no. Carvin uses a different cab, and Eminence makes over 1000 variations, so though the watts might be the same, some parts of the speaker will probabally be different. This is not to say better or worse, just different. Hence, the Ampeg will sound different than the Carvin.
  5. Jim York

Jim York

Oct 27, 2004
    What defines the basic tone of a driver is the T/S parameters, and in that respect the Carvin PS10, Eminence Beta 10 and Ampeg OEM 10 are virtually identical. Differences in the size and tuning of the cabinet will allow for some adjustment in the tone of the finished speaker, but as long as the cabinet sizes are fairly close those differences would be minimal. The only significant difference between the Carvin 8x10 and Ampeg 8x10 is the dealer mark-up on the Ampeg; Carvin sells direct, so they cost less, but they aren't 'cheaper'. Ampeg costs way too much for eight drivers that go for only $50 each at retail, and probably cost Ampeg no more than half that amount.
  6. so what your saying is, Cavin is as good as ampeg? maybe even almost up to the same standard?

i have a carvin r600 head and a red eye 2x10 speakers but im gonna upgrade.....

would you recomend Carvin then?
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I always thought the Carvin sounded crappy, and I don't like Ampeg 8x10s!
  8. Thakid2u

May 1, 2006
    We had a R1000 and it was great. Never had any problems with Carvin stuff. Speaker wise, that's all we use in our custom cabs. If any of you have seen the 8x10 we built, we loaded it with Carvin PS10s. I would say go for it.
  9. kid_squanto

May 5, 2006
    Hi - I've already bought a Carvin R600 head, and I'm looking to sell some of my old amps and buy a carvin 2x10 and a 1x18, any suggestions?
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yeah, return the head, and go with a different rig altogether. That's my suggestion.
  11. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    That Carvin cab looks to be ported, which is a pretty big difference from the Ampeg. Does it sound better? No idea. I have had terrible luck with Carvin gear & would never buy their stuff again.
  12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Why not model the Carvin and Ampeg cabs and take a look at the curves. I estimate 30 liters per driver. You can probably guess that the port is somewhere around 40 to 50 Hz.
  13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah. I had a lot of fun with the Carvin R600. I ended going up switching to an Ampeg pre/power set up and haven't looked back. However, I played that Carvin for 6 years. Loved it.

Now for this thread. I've always been impressed by Carvin stuff. As far as speakers and cabinets go. I have a RedEye 600W 4x10. Love it. Great cabinet. If this is any indicator of what the 8x10 would sound like, then I'd say you'd be very happy with the purchase. We also have Carvin PA speakers and four Carvin Monitors. Everything is clear and clean and sounds great. Carvin makes good quality stuff for a fair price.
  14. i have a carvin r600 head, and it does me just fine :) the only hting im confused about ids finding the right cab to go with it :s
  15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I love that head.

4x10 Carvin Redline. Sweet cab. It won't run two of them though. For a second cab, I added a Hartke Transporter 4x10. That sounded great. My current set up is the Carvin Redline 4x10 with a Behringer 1x15. Both are 600W cabs. Hence you can see my problem with the carvin r600 head. It just didn't have enough headroom for those two cabs. I ended up buying a poweramp to run the second cab, and that was the beginning of my venture into the pre/power set up with an Ampeg SVT-BSP preamp > Carver 1000W mono @ 4 OHm. Now my Carvin is on Craig's list. But for at least six years that head was my baby.
  16. so whats your view on the harkte transporter?

in england they charge obscene amounts for Carvin
    (only 1 or 2 dealers you see)
  17. In the UK everything costs obscene amounts!