1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin 8x10 for $500?!?!!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JordanDrinksTea, Apr 17, 2006.

1. So,

Carvin is selling their RL810T Cab for $500....

and 810 for $500?!!!?

please tell me,

is carvin complete poop?

or is this a deal that i need to jump on?

I'm thinking it's poop, but does any one have experience with carvin?

im into low, warm tone. Motown, reggae, ect.

please let me know your feelings.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They use the same quality driivers, the same quality construction, the same cabinet materials and the same T/S design software as every other 8x10. What you should be asking is: Why do other 8x10s cost so much?

3. metalbob

metalbob Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    I played one and was not that impressed by it imo

4. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I haven't used much Redline stuff, just a 1x15 combo that I borrowed for a few weeks and liked, but I can vouch for the quality of the BRX series. My B800 is a quality head and a super deal. Where do you see the RL810T for $500 though? I though it was about $1000.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    This picture sums up my feelings of the Carvin Red Line stuff:

[​IMG]

I've heard nothing but good things about the BRX Line, though.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Because it still sounds like crap compared to other 8x10s, and you can't tell what a cab sounds like on paper. :rolleyes:

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have never played through one but that is a good price. The Redline series doesn't get much love in here but with a good head it would probably sound fine. Of course an Ampeg, Aguilar or Mesa would sound better but you will pay 2-3 times as much for one.

Carvin gear may not be that sexy but at least it will make bass sounds come out of it everytime you fire it up. I have had great luck with Carvin amps (power amps) as well as PA cabs & monitors. Thats more than I can say for some of the Ampeg gear I have played, owned or had to work with.

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    If all you want is for the cab to produce sound, there are Legion 810s on ebay for $300. But a crappy head through a good cab will sound better than a good amp through a crappy cab.

Quite awhile back, I bought a brand new carvin tube guitar head 'cause it was cheap. It sounded very mediocre & was constantly in the shop. I finally sold it for less than 1/2 of what it cost me... I could barely give it away. I used a redline head & cab live about a year ago and it sounded... not great. Even they guy that owned the amp wasn't getting a very good sound from it. I think it was the same rig that Darth is standing next to.

Anyway, I don't have much good to say about their products, but if you think its a good deal, then don't let me stop you. :)

9. zing

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Au contraire, any loudspeaker designer worth his salt can do just that. Otherwise he wouldn't be worth his salt.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    IMO, the Carvin 8x10 is as good as any other 8x10 I have played through. The thing to know about the Redline cabs is that they are very punchy. Some people prefer a "floor-rumbling" cab to the "chest-thumping" cabs that are the Redlines. I slap and pop a lot, so I like what the Redline cabs give me. You might want to look elsewhere for huge low end, though. To answer your original questions: $500.00 is a good deal, this cab is not complete poop, but it probably isn't what you want. Any of the BRX cabs would do what you need, though. Good luck.

12. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    I say get two. Girls like big ;) . Nobody can tell what noises the bass makes so even if this cab is crap, oh well, you will look cool having stacks lots bigger then the guitarist. Get two :D .

Seth

13. No no, just get the one cab, and spend the other $500 on a good DI going to the PA :p

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My buddy has one and I used to borrow it when we played shows together all the time. It's not my first choice, but its still a really good deal for $500.

15. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    If I may ask, what is your experience with this cab? How many other 8x10 cabs have you compared it to? That is a pretty strong statement.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I haven't played their 810 but I ownd a redline 210 for a while and IMO it's a great sounding cab for twice the money.

17. I have no experience with carvin so until i play one i won't know what to think.

Though, It does seem like a good deal to any one whos just looking to make some noise.

18. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I have an RL410, and it isn't THE BEST cab out there, but for the money, it's decent. If you got space for another refrigerator, then I say go for it!

19. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Ooooooh, I was looking at the amp and head together when I said I thought it was $1000. That was very little to do with this thread, but I just thought you all should know that I was being an idiot.