Carvin 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, May 26, 2001.

1. Anybody have one. How does it handle pounding heavy funk of a low B string. Is the power rating legit or inflated like ampeg. I have a power amp the will dish 1400 birdge mono or 700 a side @ 4 so I need to make sure it can handle that juice.
  2. I can't find any specs on a Carvin 810.

Low B is 31 Hz. Judging from their 410 model, it is useful from 50 Hz to 16KHz. This tells me the cabinet is designed to be Loud and not go Low. IMO you will blow it up if you push hard on low B.

If you can play the cab before buying it, try and play evenly all the way up the B string and watch the cone movement. Be sure to set all tone controls to Flat and remove all EQ.

I suspect the cone will really move at low B, become almost motionless between E and G, then start moving again as you go higher up the neck. It is important to do this entirely on the B string to try and keep the same amount of signal strength. This is highly subjective at best. The point of least cone movement is the box tuning frequency. Notes lower than the tuning frequency have no acoustic loading, and they expose the drivers to being overdriven.
  3. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Maybe time for a friendly debate. I don't think speakers unload entirely below the box frequency. There is still radiation impedance in effect, which eventually drops out as one goes toward 0 Hz. What I mean is, the "pistons" have acoustic loading (i.e., are literally pushing a mass of air) to a vanishing degree as the frequency gets lower. At 0 Hz., they would not be accelerating themselves nor the air around them. But at 31 Hz., the air around the cone must be accelerated, which takes force, which means the cone is in fact loaded, at least to a degree.

The other thing is, when most players play a low B, the signal out of their bass is rich in harmonics. Most guys are happy to hear all this stuff without having a loud fundamental. Unless the bass EQ and amp gain is turned way up, I doubt that set of 10" drivers is going to "blow up", as you put it. They are not completely unloaded, IMO. If this were the case, given the number of 5-string players using 10"-based systems, you'd see a lot of blown speakers - and unhappy players - by now. I haven't seen that much evidence for this.

I have not found full specs on the Carvin 8x10, either. I have their 2x10, which uses the same drivers. They are smooth-sounding and can take a lot of power. However, the low extension of the cabinet is nothing to write home about, nor is its efficiency. It's okay, but not that great.

To the original poster, I'd think the 8x10 would be great for a trad rock sound using a 4-string, and "useable" for a 5-string. If you want a big, deep fundamental low B, you should get something else - probably a 1x15, 2x15, or 1x18. If you want full range (such as for funk), I'd recommend cabinets with 10's AND 15's or 18's. The power handling of Carvin's 8x10 is likely to be around 1200 watts. You'll probably be okay if you don't clip the amp or run a lot of distortion effects into it. I'd also be careful, as bgavin suggests, to watch for excessive cone movement below low E.

- Mike
  4. Think of it as a boat oar in the water. The lower your frequency, the smaller the oar becomes in relation to the water. Wiggling a tea spoon around in the water doesn't couple to very much water. The tea spoon is mostly "unloaded" at that point.

Below Fb, speakers behave in the same manner as they would in free air. Yes, they have atmospheric loading on them, and no they won't stand high powered low notes, and will self destruct.

I could probably play my bass through a Bose band-pass subwoofer and hear the low notes. That doesn't mean it is applicable to the job at hand. IMO, the 8x10 mentioned here is designed to go loud, and would be a real screamer above Low E. Without actually testing it or seeing the manufacturer's specs and tuning, this is all guesswork. Food for debate, though.