Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ferd315, Jan 9, 2003.

1. ferd315

ferd315

Sep 20, 2001
    Us, Fl, Tampa
    Has anyone had a chance to play or hear the new Carvin 8x10 cab ? http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=RL810T&P1=BA It says it's a 1000- 1600 watts, rated 60hz-16khz, the ampeg svt-810 is rated 800- 1600 watts 58hz- 5khz. I like the sound of ampeg and carvin, but this carvin is around $350 cheaper. I have owned Carvin bass speakers before and had nothing but good luck with them. Any suggestions would be great.

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Well, a lot of people don't like Carvin cabs, but if you like them then you'll probably be happy with their 810.

Just remember that frequency response figures really don't tell you how a cab sounds, if you look at a frequency response graph for a typical cab you'll see lots of peaks and valleys that give the cab its character. There's the issue of directionality/throw as well.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Haven't experienced one but, FWIW, apparently Dann Glenn is using one. He says,

"My Carvin RL 810 is nothing short of awesome. Eight ten inch speakers in one enclosure and the new Series III R 1000 amp make for a powerful combination. Pre-Shaping EQ, dynamics processing, and tube modeling give this rig the best sound you can get anywhere. Come see me in concert and hear it for yourself." - from dannglenn.com

And he didn't appear as an endorser in the Carvin catalog I recently received.

4. I own both cabs and they BOTH sound great. But, I leave the Ampeg CL on the Ampeg 810 and the Carvin 810 gets the RL1000...The Carvin is definitely lighter; but, this is NOT a substitue for sound/quality/etc. Let your ears (and sometimes wallet) do the judging.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have an RL-210 that I couple with my SVT-410 HLF & it sounds awesome & if that's any indication of their like, the 810 will sound monsterous!!!!!!!

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    To each his own, but I'm totally baffled as to why anyone would want an 8x10 cab. Don't get me wrong, I stack two cabs to get essentially the same thing. I just don't understand why anyone would want to limit themselves and shlep around a huge, heavy 8x10 cab when they could easily stack two 4x10 cabs and get the same thing, and also have the flexibility to use just one of the 4x10's at smaller gigs.

Enlighten me, please . . .

7. rickycootee

rickycootee

Oct 24, 2001
    Statesboro GA
    I don't know about the carvin but the ampeg 8 10 is divided into 4 separate cambers 1 for each pair of speakers whereas a 4 10 cab is single camber so an ampeg 8 10 actually has a different tone that two ampeg 4 10s so in order to get the same tone as and ampeg 8 10 cab you would have to haul around 4 2 10 cabs with high impedence plus they just look impressive

8. HI there.....first post....

I have a SWR Megoliath 8x10 cab and it is actually easier to move around than my 2 4x10 goliath III's!!! It has built in wheels on the back corner and a angled handle on the top so it basicly like moving around a dolly. It's got handles on the bottom and skid plates all along the back...and it's pretty light! (I have pulled it up the stairs at the Whisky myself!) So there are certain large cabs out there that can be easily moved around...it all depends on the thought of the design. whats a real pain in the A$$ is my amp (Mo'bass)....that thing weighs a ton!

As for the Carvin 8X10, I played one at the carvin oulet with the r1000 head...It kept clipping out at moderate levals on a 4 string!! I plugged in a five string and the thing started farting all over the place at 6 on the knob. I had the Carvin cyclops before I got my SWR stuff. I didn't like the tone at all. It's true what they say.....you get what you pay for. Mig SWR rig is LOUD and is a gut puncher.

How the heck do you post images if they are on your hard drive??

9. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I used to be a big Carvin fan but I can't recommend their bass cabs. I think they make a decent Bass for the money but the cabs are average at best. I would put my Bergantino 3-10 up against the 8-10 Carvin and I guarantee the Berg will sound better and have more low end punch.

10. The Ampeg 810 cabs are a totally sealed cabinet design. I am not sure that most of the other 810 cabs on the market are sealed or ported, but that does make a big difference in the sound of the cab.