Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin AC 50

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Jun 21, 2004.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Anyone have any experience with these? I'd be interested in hearing. I just bought this today and won't get it for a couple of days.

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i like these a lot.

kind of a poor man's Rob Allen.

fretless is my pref. but, i was surprized at how much i liked the fretted.

needs some technique adjustment due to the nature of the piezo beast.

f

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    That's what I was hoping to hear. I sold both my Rob Allen and Renaissance and have been kicking myself so I think this will help easy the pain. ;)

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    let me temper my initial comments:

it is no way a replacement for a Rob Allen or a Turner.

there is something REALLY Carvin about the AC-50 that keeps it out of the league of the RA/Turner.

peronally, i would get the cheapest one forgoing fancy woods, binding, etc...until you can get an MB-2 again.

i'm in the same boat, i got rid of my MB-2 and i miss it daily.

i had an AC-50 for the trial period. i returned it.

nice, but not close enough.

f

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'd like to know how you like it after you get it...it's one of those "additions" I have been looking at for a long time and just haven't had the funds for. Hope it works out great for ya! :)

6. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I realize it's not a replacement for my Rob Allen but for $675 and the amount it'll see use.....

7. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    I have had an AC50f for a few years and have had a lot of fun with it. The playability is excellent, as is the construction and finish of the instrument.
    I just got another set of the Labella tape wounds to replace the TI Acousticores that I tried on it. The TI's were great, but I think the Labella's are best on this bass for me.
    I have no experience with the RA or Turner, but I am sure they are great instruments. But at around half the price, the Carvin has made me quite happy.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I haven't had the chance to play the Carvin AC series, but for a minimal amount more you can move up into the Godin A-series, which are amazing instruments and much closer to the RA vibe than the Carvin's.

9. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I had an all walnut AC50f for the trail period. Loved the bass, played great...just couldn't pass up a deal i got on a tacoma thunderchief acoustic, so i had to return it.

The action was mega low, and the all walnut body/neck made the low stuff sound almost mean even on a fretless (which i consider to be more of a smoother, "nicer" tone). was a really neat sounding bass. Id definitely consider getting one as my 4th bass (after i add a 4 string peavey cirrus).

10. Interesting... many of the "less than glowing" opinions are from those who haven't had a chance to play them.