1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin AC 50

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Jun 21, 2004.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Anyone have any experience with these? I'd be interested in hearing. I just bought this today and won't get it for a couple of days.

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    Microsoft Product Designer
    i like these a lot.

kind of a poor man's Rob Allen.

fretless is my pref. but, i was surprized at how much i liked the fretted.

needs some technique adjustment due to the nature of the piezo beast.

f

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    That's what I was hoping to hear. I sold both my Rob Allen and Renaissance and have been kicking myself so I think this will help easy the pain. ;)

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    Microsoft Product Designer
    let me temper my initial comments:

it is no way a replacement for a Rob Allen or a Turner.

there is something REALLY Carvin about the AC-50 that keeps it out of the league of the RA/Turner.

peronally, i would get the cheapest one forgoing fancy woods, binding, etc...until you can get an MB-2 again.

i'm in the same boat, i got rid of my MB-2 and i miss it daily.

i had an AC-50 for the trial period. i returned it.

nice, but not close enough.

f

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'd like to know how you like it after you get it...it's one of those "additions" I have been looking at for a long time and just haven't had the funds for. Hope it works out great for ya! :)

6. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I realize it's not a replacement for my Rob Allen but for $675 and the amount it'll see use.....

7. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    I have had an AC50f for a few years and have had a lot of fun with it. The playability is excellent, as is the construction and finish of the instrument.
    I just got another set of the Labella tape wounds to replace the TI Acousticores that I tried on it. The TI's were great, but I think the Labella's are best on this bass for me.
    I have no experience with the RA or Turner, but I am sure they are great instruments. But at around half the price, the Carvin has made me quite happy.

8. I haven't had the chance to play the Carvin AC series, but for a minimal amount more you can move up into the Godin A-series, which are amazing instruments and much closer to the RA vibe than the Carvin's.

9. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I had an all walnut AC50f for the trail period. Loved the bass, played great...just couldn't pass up a deal i got on a tacoma thunderchief acoustic, so i had to return it.

The action was mega low, and the all walnut body/neck made the low stuff sound almost mean even on a fretless (which i consider to be more of a smoother, "nicer" tone). was a really neat sounding bass. Id definitely consider getting one as my 4th bass (after i add a 4 string peavey cirrus).

10. Interesting... many of the "less than glowing" opinions are from those who haven't had a chance to play them.