1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin AC40/ AC50 Cloudy finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluesky, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bluesky

bluesky

May 3, 2014
    I am close to placing an order for a Carvin Fretless AC-40 bass, with KOA top, clear gloss finish. I've heard that sometimes the Carvin finish can become cloudy. Can you guys tell me if this has been a frequent problem and is still currently a problem ? (I'd hate to pay the money for a KOA top only to have it cloud up). Thx.

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I've owned allot of Carvin basses over the years and never seen that happen.

But....I do have a AC40 which I bought used and is probably the oldest Carvin I've owned (all the others I got new). There are some cloudy spots I see on the rear in the neck pocket and the bottom side edge. But you really need to be in bright light to notice it. Have not noticed any on the top, but mine is spruce so it would be hard to notice.

3. oldicer

oldicer

Jan 14, 2007
    New York area
    I also want to order an AC 40 bass I have not heard of this problem. Do you know what there warranty is like? now you have me questioning ordering this bass any one out there know anything about this?

4. bluesky

bluesky

May 3, 2014
    I don't know what the warranty is like but was going to ask when I ordered. A guy giving a positive video demo dated 2010 on an AC40 did mention and show the cloudy spot on his. I really looked into this bass as much as I could, but this was the only potential negative I could turn up. I have not actually played an AC40 because I can't find one to try out. I guess I will probably end up ordering one.

5. I own three Carvins including an AC Fretless (Owned it since 1999) and so far none have become cloudy. It may be with the newer ones.